Two, Part 1

"You what?" Isabelle practically shouted.

Ignoring her dramatic outburst, Uncle Harold continued to sip on his tea as if what she had said didn't matter to him. Isabelle glared at him, and balled her hands at her sides. Sometimes, sometimes, she wanted to murder the sleazy old brute.

"In order to atone for myself, the Duke of Ryun has asked for your hand, and as your guardian I consented."

"You mean," said Isabelle, "I'm to atone for your debts. Your offered me to the Duke, who I might I say is thrice my age, so that your gambling debts will void."

"You know me so well, Miss Grayson," said Uncle Harold coldly.

"Unfortunate for you, Your Grace, but I want no part of this nor do I accept."

"You have no choice!" sneered Uncle Harold, "Your father's will stated that you must be twenty-one years-"

"Which I have come of age half a decade ago."

"-And must find a husband," finished Uncle Harold, "but when you failed-"

"I never failed!" Isabelle shouted, "I will find a husband. Mark my word."

Uncle Harold snorted and said, "I'd love to see you try."

"Well I will," said Isabelle and then in French, "Et vous pouvez aller à l'enfer à la fin de celui-ci!"

"Excuse me?"

"I said," Isabelle began, "And you can go to hell by the end of it."

She spun on her heels, and stormed off from Uncle Harold's study. She could not believe that this is what Uncle Harold wanted to talk to her about, marriage to the Duke of Ryun? God, to think about that she might suffer from an apoplexy.

"Merde lui," she said bitterly making her way down to the dining room for breakfast, "Le damner tout droit en enfer."

"Cursing early in the morning, Isabelle?"

Isabelle turned to see Alex walking behind her. Coming beside her, she sighed, and said, "Uncle Harold summoned me to his study."

"What did he want to talk to you about?"

"Marriage. To the Duke of Ryun! Can you believe it?"

Alex sighed and muttered, "I knew this was going to happen."

Isabelle froze and turned to Alex. Did he just-what did he say? Alex looked at her with his dark blue eyes and she glared at him, "What did you say?"

"I said I knew this was going to happen," repeated Alex.

"You've known your father's scheme the whole time and you needn't not to tell me?"

"Hey," said Alex, lifting his hands in surrender, "I didn't know. I figure it a few days ago."

Isabelle was still glaring at him, so he continued, "Let's be reasonable here, Belle. My father has hated you since your parents' death thirteen years ago. He feels it a nuisance to keep you here so as you are past the age of majority he wishes to marry you off which-" he raised his hand to silence Isabelle who opened her mouth in protest, "-I do not agree with. And his idea of a solution is to marry you off to the man he owes debts to."

"Just because I am entitled to my father's inheritance does not mean that he should use me as his bait."

"And what you intend to do?" Alex asked, crossing his arms on his chest.

"I will get married," she replied.

"Aren't you a bit old for a Season?" Alex teased.

Isabelle glared at him, "I'm six-twenty, Alex. Not forty."