Chapter 2~

Danny~

I was looking down on my body. It was a horrible sight, covered in bruises and blood. Bandages covered my arms and needles were in my veins. My hair was quickly washed and stuck to my forehead. My face was black and blue with my lip split and eyes closed. I would have looked like I was sleeping if it was not for the injuries and me looking down at myself.

The heart rate monitor was turned off and when I looked over to my right, I saw my mom watch in horror as they placed a blanket over my head. What was going on? Doctors, nurses, and family was gathered around me.

My head shot downwards as I saw Mavis sobbing trying to grab onto my hand. Her mom tried to hold on to her as Mavis screamed, her face red and tears pouring from her eyes. She was in her pajamas still, one of her slippers came off her foot as she kicked to get back to me. Her hair was a beautiful wild mess of golden curls piled on top of her head in a messy bun.

Everyone was rushed out of the room by the nurses, and I look down to my hands, they were there but not there. There was nothing left of me, I floated to a mirror on the wall, and I was not there, no reflection. I was just a floating conscious, thoughts and feelings looking down on my ruined body. It didn't feel real, like this was one wild dream. The doctor and a nurse wrote things down behind me.

"The poor family" the nurse said, beginning to take the needles out of my body.

"The poor boy" the doctor replied, looking at me with pity as he held onto a clipboard.

"Thank god that old hag was arrested, I heard she was eating the food he gave her in an alley way, the brick right next to her" the doctor hummed a reply, and I dropped my arms in surprise.

Memories came in a flash, the old lady begging for money, the crack of my head when something hit me, bright lights coming towards my direction, then darkness. I remember feeling agony when the darkness came. I remember the darkness the most out of everything. It was lonely, there was nothing there but me and the pain. The confusion on what happened, me worrying that maybe the lady got hurt and we both were getting robbed. But no, it was her who was hurting me apparently.

Coming close to my body lying there lifeless, I could not help but feel anger. I should not be laying there like that, Mavis should not have had to see me like this, none of them should. 

When I leave the room, I see everyone in the hallway, holding on to each other. Mavis is being held by both our moms as she gasped out cries. Her dad sat on a chair with his head in his hands, his shoulders shaking in silent sobs. 

Mavis lets out a choked cry and I look over to her. I try and reach out to touch her, to smooth out her hair and hold her in my arms. But there is nothing to reach out with and no way she can feel me. Her eyes are red and puffy, tear stains on her cheeks. They are there until the nurse tries to soothe them and they have to go home.

When Mavis gets home, she goes straight to her room with me following and falls on her bed, screaming in her pillow. Everyone else is downstairs trying to help each other's grief. Her crying shook everything within me, each sob, groan, and mutter of my name seemed to hurt more than that brick.

After an hour, with me laying by her side she looks at me, well more like straight past me. She gets up, going right through me, and goes into her closet. She opens the slide door and I sit up watching her. If I could have cried, I would have, she grabbed one of my sweatshirts and breathed in deeply.

Mavis lays back in her spot on her bed clutching my sweatshirt to her chest. She must have run out of tears because she just laid there silently, dozing off and eventually falling asleep. Her mom opened her door not long after and sat on her bed, petting her hair as she slept.

"It's going to be ok Mavie, Danny's in a better place now" her voice broke when she mentioned my name. It was like she was trying to convince herself it too. I wanted nothing more than to walk through her door in my physical body and as in a cheerful tone "Why are you crying? I'm right here" and then they would all be ok. I would hold onto her as she cried pissed off because she thought I was hurt. But wishes did not work for the dead. I would never hold her again, never talk to her again, and never ever come back to life.

That was three months ago, and I am still here.