1

WARNING: THE BOOK CONTAINS SOME RACIAL TERMS AND PHRASES, WHICH REFLECT THE WAY OF SPEAKING USED IN THAT HISTORICAL PERIOD.

DO NOT COPY, DISCLOSE OR SHARE ANY PART OF THE STORY.

From Sir Nicholas Cheshire's diary:

<February 9, 1774.

I am leaving for Jamaica to take possession of the properties inherited from my late father, which include a sugar cane plantation and an estate.

I was informed that about a hundred people work in the property, including farmhand and servants, mostly Creole raced*[1].

This is given to the fact that my father, an abolitionist, never meant to own slaves, a belief that I have shared either in my entire life.

The ship crossing will take about a month.

I have entrusted my properties in Dublin to my father's partners, trusted and experienced men.

I still do not know how long I shall stay.

May the Lord guide me>.

On Sir Nicholas Cheshire's arrival at his estate in Jamaica he saw a vast property with the lands extending out the view; the weather of course was warmer than the one he was used to.

He was welcomed by Sir Cheshire's confidant, monsieur André (or Mr. André), who showed him the wide house on three floors, which also included a garden and a kitchen garden.

His father had always spoken well of monsieur André, saying he was a reliable and honest man and he considered him as a family member.

After settling in his father's once chamber, Nicholas stood looking at a picture of his father on the wall. Sir Cheshire had raised him on his own, though he used to sped more time in Jamaica than in Ireland, Nicholas's mother had died when he was too young to remember her.

In that year Nicholas had turned six and twenty years old*[2], he was cultured and definitely handsome in appearance.

While he was putting away the last package, someone knocked on the door, a female voice asked: "Sir Cheshire, do you wish dinner to be served?", he replied: "Of course. Thank you", the voice spoke without a particular accent and he wondered if there were any American or European servant in the house.

When Nicholas went downstairs for dinner, he found a dark-skinned young lady in the dining-room, turned around, when he walked in the maid turned and welcomed him bowing: she was good looking, with curly honey-brown hair and she was dressed in European style, (unusual for Creole women).

"I beg you pardon, who are you?", Nicholas asked confused, "My name is Charlize. I am monsieur André's daughter", she said, Nicholas recognized the same voice he had heard in the bedroom.

"I'll have the dinner served", continued the young lady; she had the refined posture and manners, despite being a farmhand's daughter.

The servants brought the supper, while the maid stood in the corner. After a few minutes, Nicholas, in awe, said to her: "...Why won't you take a plate and join me?", the maiden was surprised by the request, "...This is not the custom of an employee, Sir", she replied, "Pardon me, but you look far too refined for being a servant",

"I am not a servant, Sir. I run the house",

"How long have you been here?",

"My father brought me here when I was about four years old",