[one that got away | donte]

a heavy sigh, jordan elbowed dontè in his side. "quit staring bro. it's not nice."

the celtics and warriors were having a little practice before the game, and the woman that donte let get away was across the court all bubbly and in love with celtics, jaylen brown.

"i'm not staring." he cleared his throat taking his eyes away from them, and getting up from his seat. "it's just — why him?"

it wasn't anything particular wrong about with jaylen, for all donte care, jaylen was actually a decent guy — he just wished (y/n) would do better.

"don't ask me, i'm not a female." jordan shrugged, and before he could continue on he was asked to get mic'ed up. "i'll be back in a minute, don't start nothing donte." he pointed towards him, giving him that knowing look.

donte sighed and looked in their direction again, this time she was sitting alone on her phone. it was taking everything in him to not go over there and try to win her back.

his feet picked up and he was making his way over but came to halt when steph and payton came up to him creating any type of conversation as possible.

donte eyes never left from her, and it seemed like she knew he was staring because now she was looking at him — but with disgust? unsureness? he couldn't tell. he couldn't find that spark in her eyes anymore, and that told him right then and there that he truly lost her.

frowning to himself, he broke the stare when a basketball went fly over, and he caught it. donte looked to see that it was jaylen who threw it.

"you aight man? called you before i tossed it." jaylen came jogging up to him, holding out his hand for a dap. donte chuckled nervously,

"my fault man, something caught my eye." quickly he glanced over to (y/n) who was now occupied by deuce and jayson.

"i bet it's the women in here, i understand bro — my wife is right over there." jaylen pointed proudly.

"i'm sorry? wife?" donte raised an eyebrow.

"yeah, i'm asking her to marry me soon. her father gave me the green light." jaylen smiled widely waving at her; donte eyes almost budged out when he saw the way she lit up. he lost her for good.

"o-oh." donte choked, then covered it up with a cough. "my bad bro, i gotta go get some water, see you on the court?"

the two dapped each other up, and parted ways. donte feet started racing him to find jordan, or at least moody, or wiggs. steph and gary were chatting it up with the couch, so they were out of the picture.

"you gotta help me win her back man! she's about to get proposed to!" donte started spiraling when he found jordan in the locker room.

"donte, bro you let her go, it's no one else's fault but yours, you gotta let her be happy. now we got a damn game to focus on, get your shit together — matter of fact save that shit for the court." jordan said.

my heart pounded to see the guy i once loved, and the current man in my life talking

my heart pounded to see the guy i once loved, and the current man in my life talking. donte had been staring my way ever since i stepped foot in the arena. it made me a bit uncomfortable, and i couldn't tell jaylen to make him stop, that'll create drama.

while they parted ways, i wiped my sweaty hands into my jeans and got up; i need some air.

quickly i informed jaylen and went on to find an exit or at least somewhere with water. now i'm wishing i didn't.

"(y/n).." he softly said walking out of the locker room.

"Donte DiVincenzo.." i looked everywhere but at him, this is awkward.

"please don't be like that." he pleaded stepping forward, only for me to step back and hold my hand out to stop him.

"invading my space, stay right there." i tell him.

"i'm sorry." he cried.

"yeah, you're sorry now. that's how it always goes." i roll my eyes.

"no baby girl—" i cut him off.

"don't call me that. you have no rights to, now if you'll excuse me i have to go." i was hold back tears, and he knew since out of nowhere he pulled out tissues from his shorts.

"take them i don't want you to mess up your make up, it looks beautiful." he whispered, taking my hand and placing them into my palm. he held my hand for as long as he could, i still felt something there.

"bye, donte." i finally walked away.

"you're gonna be mines baby, i'm not letting you go this time." he hollered.

and i just kept walking with the tears flowing.

not i wrote a donte imagine without stopping 😭

sorry for any mistakes i did not proofread.