Prologue

Why did this have to happen to me? Out of all the people in the world who definitely deserved this pain more than I did, why me? I did nothing wrong, God. Nothing! And yet, you punish me by taking back my brother far too soon. I hate you for that! He was my best friend, my partner-in-crime...

...and you took him from me. You bastard!

I sure as hell didn't deserve this pain, this torture! I don't deserve to have this knife in my grieving, fragile heart for the rest of my life. No one should have to go through this. No one.

As you can't tell already, I'm definitely struggling from processing grief and heartbreak in a healthy manner. Allow me to take you back to why I felt this heartbreak, grief, and anger.

My twin brother Devin and I had just graduated from the University of Tennessee a year earlier than expected because of all the credits we gained from taking college-level classes in high school. I had graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice, working my ass off so I could go into the Secret Service for the United States government. I always had a knack for protecting people and doing what's right even if the metaphorical gun of fear was pointing in my face. I was, and still am, pretty stubborn and abrasive, unlike my caring, sweet twin brother. Though he graduated with a Bachelor's in Sports Medicine, he had the intention of getting his Doctorate and becoming a primary care sports medicine physician. Devin—God love his gentle soul—always had a thing for helping people and making them feel better, and this career was ultimately what he wanted to do for the rest of his life.

Well, that didn't last long.

Although we spent a lot of time together, we weren't attached at the hip. We often did activities by ourselves when we needed space, and both of us were perfectly fine with it. Despite loving each other dearly, both of us needed some space once in a while.

At the time of the incident, it was early evening. Late enough for an early sunset to be evident on the horizon, but early enough that it was visibly light outside. I was sitting in a local coffee shop in downtown Chattanooga, which I often did whenever I had work that needed accomplished right away. This coffee shop was within an earshot of my home, so it was convenient for me to go there whenever I needed space to concentrate on work that I needed to get done. I was here trying to find any job opportunity available for the Secret Service. Whether it was extra training sessions or paid internships, I was looking for every opportunity to go down to DC and serve as the president's bulletproof vest.

Typing and carefully combing the internet, I was entirely focused on what the screen on my laptop produced. Whatever I could find related to the Secret Service, I was more than willing to take a look at. I paid no attention to what was going on outside, even if my twin brother would occasionally go on his early-evening run around the downtown area. He often did this to keep in shape for baseball, the sport he loved so dearly. He lived, breathed, and slept all things baseball, something I never did. I never got into sports in junior high or high school, so I mainly kept to academic work, as well as part-time work at the local police department here in Chattanooga, Tennessee and going to the gym regularly. 

Yes, my parents were fine with this and supported me every step of the way. They wanted the best for me just like the rest of my siblings.

Devin happened to be running by the area whilst I was scouring any government database to find job openings. I kept to myself and intensely scoured while drinking my coffee. My attention was entirely dedicated to my laptop and the Internet.

That changed, however.

My gut was screaming at me, trying desperately to tell me that something was wrong. Something bad was going to happen, but I hoped that it wouldn't happen to me or any of my family, especially my twin brother Devin. He and I practically grew up together and were best friends. We didn't have a lot of friends growing up because we had each other. It would be simply painful to have something happen to me, my siblings, or my parents.