Chapter Four

❗️TW❗️There are mentions of abusive households in this chapter in case it could affect anyone. Please don't read it if it could offend or upset you! Ilysm🩷🩷

We're all back in our original seats, except for John who's moved to the seats across from Claire's and Andrew's.
i hear a door open and a janitor walks in, whistling to music.

"Brian, how you doing?" he asks

"Your dad works here?" i ask, Brian turns to me his face hot and gives me a small smile.

"Uh Carl?" Bender asks

"What?"

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure..."

"How does one become a janitor?" 

"You wanna be a janitor?"

"No, I just wanna know how one, becomes a janitor because Andrew here is very interested in perusing a career in custodial arts." Laughter rings out through the room, Andrew glares at us.

"Oh, really?  You guys think I'm just some untouchable peasant?  Peon? Huh?  Maybe so, but following a broom around after shitheads like you for the past eight years I've learned a couple of things...I look through your letters, I look through your lockers," me and John look at each other, our eyes wide, "I listen to your conversations, you don't know that but I do...I am the eyes and ears of this institution my friends." he looks at us, and starts to walk away, "By the way, that clock is twenty minutes fast!"

Everyone groans, except John and me who smile at each other, laughing.

               The clock now read 11:30.

It stays quiet, then Bender starts to whistle a marching tune and everyone starts to join in. Allison is the last to join, and we pause and smile at each other. Vernon walks in and everyone stops whistling, except for John who begins to whistle Beethoven's 5th.

"Alright girls, that's thirty minutes for lunch."

"Here?" Andrew asks

"Here."

" Well I think the cafeteria would be a more suitable place for us to eat lunch in, sir!"

"Well, I don't care what you think, Andrew!"

"Uh Dick, excuse me, Rich... will milk be made available to us?"

"We're extremely thirsty, sir." Andrew says

"I have a very low tolerance for dehydration." Claire adds

"i've seen her dehydrated. it's super gross." i say

"Relax," John stands up, "me and sweets over here will get it." i roll my eyes as John smirks at me.

"Ah ah ah. Grab some wood there, bud."

Bender sits down, his face in a grin.

"What do you think, I was born yesterday? You think I'm gonna have you roaming these halls?" 

He points at Andrew.

"You!"

Then he points at Allison.

"And you! Hey! Wake her, wake her up!" I tap Allison softly, and she opens her eyes, looking at Vernon.

"Come on, on your feet missy! Let's go! this isn't a rest home!"

Allison grabs her bags hastily, and gets up.

"There's a soft drink machine in the teacher's lounge. Let's go!"