Chapter 13

Four days later, the place still seemed gloomy. Snow hadn't been sleeping well, and Lilac was still heartbroken. Winter was also upset at the loss of her grandmother, so Amber would always try her best to comfort her.

Amber still checked in on the pups every day as she usually did. One cold, snowy morning, she walked in to visit the pups. Ice was fast asleep, which was unusual for him during the day. But he wasn't snuggling with his mother- he was curled up in the far corner of the burrow.

"Isn't he cold?" Amber asked.

"No, he doesn't seem to mind the cold," Ember answered, "He just doesn't like to go outside. His eyes are sensitive to the light, and he hasn't left the burrow once."

"You know, you'd make a good healer, Amber," Summer said, "You always check in on everyone, and you're very helpful."

"But female healers can't have mates," Sky sighed, "That's why Lilac is single."

"But... that's not fair," Amber said.

"I know," Sky said, "and I know she'd love to have a mate. Not to... gossip or anything, but I think she likes Sand."

"Sand? That grumpy mongoose?" Amber asked with a confused look.

"She's always liked him," Sky said, "ever since they were trainees. Young love, I tell you. You know, He's my mate though. Don't give her any ideas."

"What happens if Lilac has a mate?" Amber asked, changing back to the original subject.

"I don't know," Sky said, "I guess it's just frowned upon. I don't know if anything really happens. I heard that back in the Sunlit Forest, the pups used to be taken away, and the healer would have to step down as soon as another healer trainee came up. But I don't think that will happen now."

"That's discriminating!" Amber shouted, "If I was the leader, I wouldn't care."

"Well, sweetheart," Summer said, "I don't think that'll... be possible... y'know, being the leader?"

Did she just call me "sweetheart?" Amber thought to herself. Summer didn't sound mean while saying it, she sounded like she was being nice. Amber was confused at this. The only mongooses that had ever called her "sweetheart" were Pebble, and her mother, Autumn.

"Don't look so shocked," Summer said, reading Amber's surprised facial expression.

"Well, Summer's right. You have to be the secondary leader at least five moons before you can become leader... but you have to train a trainee before becoming secondary leader."

"Wait, Snow trained someone?" Amber asked.

"Yes," Sky said, "She actually trained Smoke. She was very young when she started to train him, but she was strong, smart, and trusted by the pack. She still is."

"Do you think I could get someone to train?" Amber asked.

"Maybe," Sky answered, "but that doesn't mean you automatically become the secondary leader. You need to show a lot of dedication to your pack."

Amber nodded.

"Anyway, how are your pups doing, Summer? Have you named them yet?" Amber asked.

"I have named them," Summer said, "The yellow one is Apple, and the gray one is Rocky. Rocky is... kinda ill. He seems to have the same lung issues Lavender has, but I'm sure he'll be fine."

"Oh... Okay," Amber said. She turned around, then climbed up and out of the burrow hole.

That afternoon, the sky was filled with clouds, and the snow started to fall harder. The clouds were so thick that the sun's light wasn't visible.