By his side

A\N: So a few days ago, I published 4 Keenler oneshots even though I wrote five (I just forgot to publish the fifth before I went to bed), anyway here is my sixth Keenler oneshot in two days. Enjoy, Angels.

Liz waits in the hospital waiting room with Cooper, Ressler's blood is slowly drying on her hands. Ressler got shot protecting her. The suspect was aiming at her but Ressler pushed her out of the way just as the bullet was fired from the gun chamber he was shot protecting her.

"Agents Cooper and Keen?" A nurse comes up to them wearing pink scrubs, giving them both a small smile. "Agent Ressler's doctor will be right out to talk to you." she says before walking away from them. A short time later, a brown haired doctor wearing a white lab coat carrying a clipboard. "Are you here for Agent Donald Ressler?" He asks them, Liz and Cooper nod.

"Alright, I'm, Dr Russel, I'm Agent Ressler's attending. Agent Ressler came in with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. We took him into surgery to remove the bullet, we removed the bullet successfully but an unforeseen complication arose." The doctor says. Liz looks up from her bloodstained hands and glares at the man. "What 'unforeseen complication'?" Liz demands, standing up and glaring at the man. Dr Russel sighs. "Agent Ressler has developed an infection. His body was already weak because of the gunshot wound and blood loss but add on the infection, his body is even weaker than it was, he's been sedated for a few days. You're more than welcome to sit with him until he wakes up." The doctor says before leading Liz and Cooper down a series of hallways until he stops in front of a private hospital room where Ressler is sleeping.

Liz lets Copper visit with Ressler first while she goes to the women's restroom to wash Ressler's blood off her hands.

She runs the hot water and sticks her hands under them, watching as the clear water runs red as the blood slowly starts disappearing from her hands. After all the blood is free from her hands, Liz puts soap on them and washes her hands again before splashing some water on her face. She leaves the bathroom, walking to Ressler's room where Cooper is talking to a sedated Ressler. A few words from Cooper reach her ears.

"Keen is blaming herself for you being in here, Ressler, you've gotta wake up and tell her otherwise because we both know that the only person she'll listen to is you. She needs you to wake up." Her boss says before patting the agent's shoulder and leaving the room, giving Liz a small smile as he passes her.

Liz sits down in the hospital chair that Cooper was in and takes one of Ressler's hands in both of hers, looking at his face which is peaceful. She starts talking to him, not caring if he can't hear her. "Ressler, I'm so sorry." She begins quietly, watching as his chest rises and falls with each breath he takes, she sits in silence, simply staring at him, grateful that he's alive and not dead.

This is my fault. Her brain tells her. This should be me. That bullet was meant for me but Ressler took it for me, trying to be a hero. Her brain is making her feel even more guilty than she already is. She removes one of her hands from Ressler's and looks at the now clean hand.

Even though all his blood is washed away, it won't even ever be gone. It will always be on her hands. 

Liz hasn't left Ressler's bedside in two days.

It's been two days since the gun was meant to hit her.

It's been two days since Ressler pushed her out of the way.

It's been two days since Ressler took the bullet that was meant for her.

It's been two days since she washed his blood off her hands.

It's been two days since she sat beside his bed.

It's been two days since she's left Ressler's side.

It's been two days since she's seen his blue eyes.

It's been two days since she's heard his voice.

Ressler's hand twitches in her hand causing Liz to look at her partner just as his blue eyes flutter open, a small smile overtaking her face.

"Ressler? Ressler, can you hear me?" Liz asks just as Ressler's blue eyes land on her, a smile on his face.

"Hey, Keen." He says quietly, squeezing her hand. "Are you okay?" He asks. Liz rolls her eyes. Even when he's had surgery and just woken up, he still asks about her well-being. Liz smiles again as she looks at her partner.

"I am now." She says softly.

As she'd be by his side, she'd always be okay.

A\N: My sixth Keenler oneshot in days, enjoy Angels.