Part 12: Suma's Day- Part 3

I flew out of City Hall and back into town. I was getting hungry, so I made my way over to a shop. My people are omnivorous, but we prefer fruits and insects over anything else. I was craving a Magiopa, a small sweet watery fruit popular among lower class Neame like myself; it is affordable and quite tasty. I landed in front of a small stand that sold them, as well as several other kinds of affordable fruits. "Hello young one," the elder who ran the shop greeted, "would you care to see a list of our goods today?"

"Well, I only came to purchase a Magiopa, but if you have anything else that sounds good then why not." I said.

"Excellent," the elder said and used magic to create shimmering images above my head; they were pictures of everything he sold. "As you can see, we have some Coya seeds in if that takes your interest, as well as some Magiopa seeds like you mentioned, and even a supply of a Newla fruit seeds from Famutek; a small island north of Famu." The elder explained.

After looking over his supply, I requested two Magiopa seeds and one Newla fruit seed. He carefully used magic to pull out seeds from an assortment of bags behind his stand and move them into a small cloth pouch for me. I paid him in magical power and flew over to a small clearing nearby. Several others were doing the same as me, preparing to eat. I placed my seeds on the ground and pushed some magic into them. Quickly, they grew roots and planted themselves firmly in the dirt, then a stalk grew up and blossomed. Within a minute, the blossom was growing my fruits. I like my Magiopa a bit firm, so I stopped it before it was fully done. The Newla was unique, its flavor was bold, and citric, but had a sweet aftertaste. It also was not as watery as I had imagined it would be, so I probably will not get it again, but it was still good.

I finished my meal and started to fly away, but just as I spread my wings, someone from behind me shouted, "YOU! Peasant!" It startled me and I looked around to see what was happening only to discover several well decorated nobles, the ones I had seen at City Hall, were glaring at me.

No one was around so I said, "Are you talking to me?" The three of them landed in front of me and puffed up to seem bigger; an act nobles do when conversing with lower class citizens to seem better. They were all taller than me, and decorated with gold lace, but only the one in the middle, the shortest, was also adorned with any jewels. He had two green gems around his neck, and a blue one in the center of each wing.

"Of course we are talking to you, are you the Neame who was named by her familiar?" The one in the middle demanded angrily.

"I... yes, I am Suma." I said quietly.

"Shameful, I did not think that peasants could fall any lower. You stole an honor reserved for nobility. It is disrespectful enough that commoners are even allowed to have names, but now they abuse the privilege by practically naming themselves!" The middle one said.

"Sir, I assure you, you are mistaken, I did n-" I tried to say but was cut off.

"You dare speak defiantly to a noble! First you steal a name, now you interrupt me, and worst of all, you claim I am lying!" The noble screamed and raised his wings. A ball of magical energy formed between them, and he threw it at me; it caught me square in the chest and broke several of my ribs. "You will go to the Grand Duke and renounce your name you filthy commoner, and maybe we will spare your life." The noble said proudly. I cast a spell of healing on my chest, just enough so that I could quickly fly away. I used magic to increase my speed as I flew. Over my shoulder, I heard one of the nobles scream to follow me. I could not think, the pain in my shoulder shot through me and slowed me down... they were gaining quickly.

"JAKE, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, BUT GET READY TO LOOK AS SCARY AS POSSIBLE!" I shouted through the pain and turned into an alley to try and hide. I summoned jake as quickly as I could, "I SUMMON YOU... SENTINEL!"

"Ah loud." Jake said and began to appear just as the three nobles turned the corner of the alley, each with their bestial familiars.