Chapter 7

Aimee

July 8, 2012

"Where you headed, Aimee?" Sam asks as he passes me.

"Dance hall, Nat's class. You?" I ask, turning to look at him.

"Music room. Are we still tie dyeing later?"

At this point we have both stopped to talk.

"We are. Since your class is longer than mine why don't we meet there?"

"Sounds good to me." Sam starts to turn away. "Oh, if you see Jain before then tell her I have the notes from yesterday's theatre class."

"I will. See you later." I say.

Sam nods and walks away.

Did Jain miss camp classes yesterday? We walked over together so I know she didn't miss the day. So that means she either ditched classes or wasn't paying attention.

"Aimee!"

"Jain?" I ask turning around.

"Hey, what are you doing?" She asks.

I see Caitlyn behind her.

"I'm going to class." I say, glancing at my hand still reaching for the door.

"Oh, so am I. Except my class is all the way across camp and starts in one minute so I'm going to be late." Jain replies lightheartedly.

"I've got to go, Jain." Caitlyn says.

They hug and say bye.

"She's really cool. She stayed when Samuel and Rob left for class earlier."

"You mean this class period." I ask, surprised.

"Yeah. She stayed until the last second. Anyway, I should go."

I check my watch. Classes have started so might as well continue our conversation.

"Hey, Sam told me that he has notes for you about the first theatre class."

"That's great. I was a little preoccupied so I'm glad he's there to take notes."

It was the first class of her day. Why was she preoccupied?

"Try to pay attention, okay?" I ask.

"I will. See you later." Jain says, grinning and walking away.

I enter the dance hall and all eyes turn to me. I wave to a couple people and find a seat.

"Good morning." Nat says, coming in from the side door.

"Good morning." I say with the rest of my fellow campers, automatically.

Nat leads warm ups and describes End of Summer Performance for new students.

"Aimee." Talia says.

I look at her, surprised, and then look around the room. Everyone is looking at me again. I return my gaze to where it had been, pointedly, and then realize that Nat has moved and is staring at me.

"Yes?" I ask, unnerved.

"Nat wants you to demonstrate last summer's end performance." She replies, looking at me questioningly.

"That is, if you remember it, of course." Nat says, smiling.

One, that sounds like a challenge. Two, I might not if she keeps smiling at me.

"Uh, sure." I say, standing up.

But wasn't it a couple dance?

I reach the front of the room and turn around, searching for Vincent. Who's not here because he moved up.