Episode 2- "Blood Letting"

The guy was big and dopey looking. Wheezing and panting heavily as he ran. "Hey, you move, shithead come on, get us there!" Shane hollers to the man as the four of you sprint to the house he was leading you guys to. The man was moving slowly running as if it pained him to do so. "How far!? How far!?" Rick yells at the man with Carl bleeding out in his arms. "Another half mile that way. Talk to Hershal. He'll help your boy" the chubby man says before falling to the ground with a thud.

You and Shane rush to help him up "Get the fuck up, now" you state yanking him to his feet. Rick seemed to have already made it to the house the man spoke of causing you and Shane to move quicker. It felt as if the three of you had been running for years when you made it to the house. It wasn't small nor was it big. It seemed homey. Too homey for an apocalypse. Rick suddenly comes out of the house covered in blood. The blank expression he held terrified you. "He alive? He's still alive?" the man asks voice quivering. Rick doesn't respond.

Shane glances at you as you glance at him. "Rick?" his tear-filled eyes flick to yours. Rick grabs your hand and pulls you inside the house. With Shane and the man who shot Carl following Rick leads you past the old timely living room and into a bedroom where Carl lay, passed out with an old man standing over him. The old man presses a piece of cloth against Carl's wound. He glances at the four of you before gazing back at Carl's pale face "You know his blood type?" he questions. You open your mouth to respond as if you knew but quickly shut it "A-positive, same as mine" Rick replies his voice quivering. "That's my blood type too" you add "That's extremely fortunate" The old man states. Rick sniffles as his eyes move to you.

"I couldn't have you do that, Y/n". You shake your head at his words "Shut up, Rick". He lets out a light chuckle before nodding "T-thank you". The old man pours alcohol on the blooded piece of cloth before pressing it on Carl's wound again "You two don't wander far. I'll need you" The old man says "Are you Hershal?" Shane questions. The old man nods before turning to the man who shot Carl "What happened, Otis?". Otis fumbles over his words for a moment before calming himself down "I-I was tracking a buck. Bullet went through it. Went clean through" he answers. Hershal sighs "The deer slowed the bullet down, which certainly saved his life. But it did not go through clean. It broke up into pieces. If I can get the bullet fragments out... And I'm counting six..." he trails off.

Rick places his hands on his head "Lori doesn't know" he mutters to himself "My wife doesn't know". Tears begin to well up in his eyes, Shane reacts like a best friend would and pulls him into a tight hug. You place your hands on your hip "We should give Hershal some space". Shane nods softly pulling Rick out of the room. The four of you move into the living room, taking time to calm down from the nerve-racking situation. The wooden rocking chairs and flower wallpaper made it obvious an old couple lived here but you had yet to see a woman. Rick takes a seat on their beige couch beside Otis, placing his head in his hands.

Shane huffs "Well ain't this a bitch" he stands by the front door with his arms crossed. "Could be worse" you say "I am so so sorry" Otis states, he speaks as if he's pleading for you guys to forgive him. "We know" Shane responds blandly before looking back to you "I was thinking we could-" "Who the hell are y'all?". All four of you look towards a woman, a young woman. She gazes at you, Rick, and Shane with confusion as she steps down the stairs slowly. Otis stands up "This is Rick, Shane, and Y/n. They... I made a mistake" He shakes his head, disappointed with himself.

"What kind of mistake?" she questions her country accent thick "he shot a little boy" You answer somewhat harshly. The woman's eyes widen "What?" "it was an accident I was tryna catch a buck" Otis explains quickly. "Who are you?" Shane asks with narrowed eyes "Maggie, Hersahls daughter". Hershal suddenly exits the room, closing the door behind himself. Rick immediately stands "Well?". Hershal cleans his bloody hands with a rag "he's out of danger for the moment. But I need to remove the remaining fragments" he explains "How? You say how he was-" "I know and that was the shallowest one. I need to go deeper to get the others " Hershal interrupts. You cross your arms "Oh man" "there's more" Hershal says his eyes flicking from Rick to Shane to you. "Okay..." you state urging him to continue.