11. hotel

They send her in to fight a devil in a hotel which never ends. She has company this time. Hayakawa, for one. Himeno: choppy black hair almost like Reze's own, with mischief playing at the corner of her lips and a frightening emptiness in her single eye. The two newbies: timid, strange Kobeni and the nondescript Arai.

They're whiling away time as Hayakawa does his obsessive rounds. Kobeni's whimpers fill the room as Reze lies flat on the bed, eyes half-lidded, sinking into its softness.

Himeno's hair tickles her face as the older woman leans over. Reze... Her voice is low. Almost curious.

Reze opens her eyes. What?

So, you weren't sleeping. Himeno's face is careful. Expressionless. An arrow-like smile darts its way onto her face; she claps her hands together in faux cheerfulness. Here's an idea! Get us out of here and I'll give you a French kiss, how about that?

Reze grins. What about I get you out of here and you owe me one? To cash in later?

Himeno's smile widens, creases past her lips and shutters something black and awful into her eyes. She ruffles Reze's hair. Enterprising! A conspiratorial smirk and a sleazy half wink that lingers like oil in the air. Not too pervy, alright? I know aaalll about boys your age.

I'm a girl, says Reze.

Himeno blinks, guffaws. Whaaat? You're a girl? She squints at Reze's face. You know what? You are awfully pretty. I can see it.

You're a girl? Hayakawa asks later as they walk out to meet the devil.

Reze sticks her tongue out. Did you wish I was a boy when you were molesting me back then? A giggle, artificial. Aah, I didn't know you swung that way!

I will punch you, Hayakawa deadpans.

But seriously, if you need any he begins but Reze never gets to find out what she might need because the Eternity Devil speaks and then Kobeni attacks her and things get a little out of hand.