Twenty Three

July 17th 1925

July 17th 1925

Oh what a three years it had been. Evie's turned 7, and Mason was turning 3 that year. Matilda and Tommy were amazing, although there had been many many bumps in the road, they pulled through. Always.

John pulled through, as did Michael. Changretta was killed, and the family felt at peace. Speaking of...

"Where's my boy!?" Matilda grinned as she turned around, seeing John grab Mason and throw him up in the air, catching him smoothly in his hands. "You alright, Til?"

Matilda smiled as John pulled her into a one armed hug. "I'm good, John boy. Almost ready just give me five more minutes."

He nodded as he placed Mason back on the floor. "Where's Evie?" Matilda pointed out the window, where Karl and Evie were playing outside together.

"Alright, meet us outside." The family were all meeting together at the Garrison, it was summer, and Matilda had made it a tradition to throw a party there every year on July 17th. Why? No reason, it was just a bit of fun.

••••••

The Garrison was more pack then usual, the atmosphere was cheerful and secure, putting a smile on everyone's faces. It wasn't too late, so the streets were still lit up by the sunlight, allowing the children to all play outside together.

"You alright, darling?" Matilda smile over at Tommy as she laid into his side, drink of whiskey in hand, how couldn't she be alright in this moment?

She nodded, smiling even harder as he kissed her cheek. "Oi, Tilda! Come play cards with me!"

"Oh alright old man I'm coming!" She stood up walking to sit opposite Arthur at the table while he dished out cards for himself, Matilda and Polly.

••••••

It had been hours later, it was now completely dark out, Ada had taken the kids home allowing everyone to get as drunk as they pleased.

"Oh John stop it! You're gonna make me cry!" Matilda cackled, smacking her arm against his shoulder. "It's fucking true! I didn't fucking think I'd walk in on you butt naked!"

Matilda laughed and then threw the rest of the whiskey in glass to the back of her throat. She felt euphoric, she always did when she was partying with her favourite people.

The feeling of someone grabbing her arm made her jump, but she smiled once she realised it was just her Tom. "Tilly, we've got to go, now."

"What why? We're having fun, the kids are with Ada, there's no need?"

"I know, I know, but listen to me okay? We need to go, if you want to get home to the kids we need to leave." The look in Tommys eyes scared her, she knew that look deep down, but she was too drunk to care.

"No, I'm staying here, I'm enjoying myself-" The doors the Garrison swung open, making everyone's heads spin.

Matildas heart sunk at the sight of the three men. And she knew, she always knew.

"For Changretta!"

And then darkness. Pure darkness. Who could have known the end of Matilda Shelby would have been on her favourite day of the year?

The end.