38

With delicacy,
A butterfly lands upon,
A fragile petal.
- Bushubō.

Where the Shēsō, or Yunoio, had secured the Nakura dress, Kō could not imagine. It was one of the most beautiful creations she had ever seen, rivalling the best of the garments she had worn as a noble. Each pattern upon the dress had taken skilled hands to sew into the deep purple, silk material, representing storks wading in a glittering pool beside a golden cherry blossom tree. It took her breath away.

The hat, she admired but cared less about. An affectation worn only by the most pure noblewomen and, more pertinent, the highest class of courtesans. An irony not lost upon the people of Kaguta and the reason that the dress and hat hung there upon a dress stand. The plan, such as it was, involved her performing the part of one of those courtesans and Kō didn't like it at all.

"Of course, the girl would appear more the height of the Princess, but she is not a combatant and I will not allow her to become embroiled in this venture." The Shēsō, looking more and more tired as the hours drew on, indicated Kiriho. "So. It is you, lazy girl, that must take the part. Unless you think the brawler, or the warrior could wear it? The ghost? If you want entry to the palace without drawing attention, this is the way."

He fell into a fit of coughing, his body curling as his thin chest heaved. Yunoio came to his side, offering water but the Shēsō waved her away. He wiped a hand across his lips and Kō saw flecks of blood smeared along his taut, dry skin. She feared he had little time left. The rush of energy from making plans to curtail the Yāttō's ambitions had diminished.

Kiriho, the baby in a sling about her neck, hovered to the side, her natural need to care for the old man held back. She had not spoken to Kō since the encounter in the corridor, but her eyes fell upon Kō often. The effects of that conversation remaining unspoken as they all prepared for the assault on the palace.

Word had reached them that the Yāttō, himself, were about to ride out at the head of the Imperial army, something that would have caused shock and tremors throughout the island, had it happened before this war. Only the Emperor, or his generals, ever led the Imperial army. Rumours abounded of the army that had entered the Imperial region and all those rumours spoke of Ginka. The story played out exactly as the Yāttō wished it to. Of where the Emperor would go, none knew, but Kō suspected that he would remain in the palace, all the better to turn suspicion away from the Yāttō.

"I did not say I would not wear it! But ..." Her fingers traced the patterns upon the remarkable dress. "I have no understanding of how courtesans act. I have met many, but their ways and customs are a mystery. The way they move is unnatural. The way they speak. Their affectations. These are things they spend decades perfecting."

"I can teach you enough to pass." Kiriho had stepped forward, but her expression told Kō she had not forgiven her yet. "I studied as junior for several years before I turned to my ... profession. It's just a matter of giving the impression of a courtesan."

"Dojūru and I will carry the palanquin, while the old woman plays the part of the madam." An exaggerated tut came from the corner, where Ankūro sat apart from everyone else. Saiban scowled at her before continuing. "Inside, we head to the quarters of Lord Kunshurō, a known reprobate who enjoys the company of courtesans far too much. The court of the Princess is only a short distance from Kunshurō's quarters, or so the fallen noble believes."

They had discussed the plan to exhaustion, but it never wasted time to reiterate the points. The Shēsō had told them that. Kō nodded at the look from Saiban. It was not how he had wanted the assault to play, preferring to rely on his skills as a thief, but the palace grounds were extensive, almost a city unto itself, and they could not chance becoming separated. For the plan to work, they needed to stay together.