FOUR: Midnight L'Amour

Nightingale Photography - Picture building a better tomorrow.

The clock ticks agonizingly slow as you sit in your cramped office booth. Your eyes glazed with boredom, feeling like your shift was never-ending. The never-ending timeslot that was your little corporate job, eyeing the cursive slogan of your workplace that seemed to drill into your head. You never imagined it to be like this.

It's been just over a month since your arrival, thinking you'd soar to the top just by that degree you worked so hard for. You were always a dreamer, however and reality was soon to hit you in the face when that was just another thing you'd dream about.

Your co-workers weren't all the best either which made things worse.

There was Vivian Bowen. Vivian was your superior and made sure you knew it. The talk in the break room informed you that she had major connections that greatly benefited the company. There was even a small sliver of a rumor going around that she was sleeping with the boss. You doubted that, since she always looked like she was on the prowl to shit on someone else's day. Her looks could have definitely aid her some privilege. Fit body, quick on her feet, organized, punctual. Imagine that one Math or English teacher from hell times a thousand.

Ever since you had gotten a place in the lowest of corporate status at Nightingale, her words of sharp criticism and overall disapproval really weighed down on you. You weren't sure why severe censure was thrown your way and at first you thought it was because she saw something in you. Clearly, you were greatly mistaken as her reasoning for disliking you so much was unclear.

You imagined it was because you had taken the spot of someone she actually wanted to work on the floor you were at. That friend was Lisa Parham. Lisa had just as good of communication skills and overall marketing strategies as you. She wasn't very fond of you either since she had to find work elsewhere. You had gotten the job from the degree which made you a near automatic hire. Turns out you had a lot more to learn about photography seeing as this felt more like corporate slave work rather than letting your mind run free. That and learning how to keep your cool under the stress you were currently having. Or maybe this was just how city folk acted and you were still accustomed to the Midwesterners way of life. You weren't sure.

At least you had that gig to look forward to tonight.

The thought of seeing Peter again dulled the unfortunate days at work. You've come to think about him more frequently and it always made your mind set sail on the seas of that enigmatic man. It almost was embarrassing how much he'd pop into the void spaces of the brief quiet throughout your day. He had shown nothing but kindness and generosity since your first meeting and it struck a chord with you. Not because he was practically fixing your apartment without any payment but because he had treated you well beyond your initial expectation.

You wondered if you were going to finally be able to meet his other friends. Surely they would be just as nice as him.

--

L'Amour.

The venue that practically started it all. The stage had seen Peter grow up along with the inevitable drops of past band members to create the sensation they were growing to be. Type O Negative. Now just a small buzz in their beloved hometown, these Brooklynites soared heights they couldn't have imagined.

Peter, Josh, Johnny and Kenny had done their usual rehearsal per Pete's request. Tonight, he wanted to make sure that this night would go perfect. The others thought that the last rehearsal was enough but the new drive Peter suddenly had took over. His heart, like always, was set on the outcome of their upcoming performances and all that the others could do was watch in curiosity. Peter was heavily scribbling in his notebook he'd carry with him and Josh sat down across from him.