Page 25

"Ok, then I will show you the method without dealing with the guts for now," he told me while walking behind the deer, taking the sharp knife and cutting the head to the butt entirely down. He slowly and carefully cut some hides off, starting from the hind legs. And Then I watched as he swiftly cut off the meat, placed it carefully on the cloth next to him, then rolled it to the right and did the same thing to it. I was surprised at how easily he made all this without damaging the deer hide. "Wow, Now we have the meat and the hide to keep warm," John said, laughing like a little kid. "Damn, that was quicker than most of us can do," Bass told him while looking at the men with the boar. "My Father and Older brother taught me when I was younger," he told us. "They taught you well," Bass told him. "My father said due to me being a bastard, I would have to learn everything to service anything." Master Andrew told him. "Lord Quarry told me the same thing. Given that fact, I do not act like a natural lady, but I can act the part." I told him. Well, I will never ask you to do so unless it's life or death," Master Andrew told me. "Well, should we get to roasting?" John piped up. All we could do was smile and help gather all the meat. I took some time to cut pockets into the meat and put wild garlic and chives so they could get some flavor within the meat. I then wrapped the wild fennel around the sticks to eat. While I did this, Andrew went to help get the boar meat taken care of before it became terrible. While he was there, I could hear the men complaining that he got the deer done too soon. "What other skill do you have ?" I heard Lee ask. "More than I can count, though I know better than to let you guys know all," Master Andrew told them.

    "In this life, those with many skills are rich enough to be a Lord," Keshna told him. "Oh, and how many skills do you guys have?" Andrew asked and then looked at me. "We have many, but not as much as Lady Kludde," Keshna told him. "Through the days, you will learn what skills we have the same as you," I told him, and he just smiled, and then he looked up at the sky, and it changed to worry. It will rain soon; I will check on the horses," Master Andrew announced. "They should be well fed after you just fed them," John called out. "I am just going to make sure they are all tied up well enough," he told us. "If you tied them, then they should be fine," Bass told him. "Come on, man, let us go make sure they are fine," John called out, wrapping his arm around Master Andrews's neck. "That kid is wired," Keshna announced in a low voice. "Well, he might sense something we are not; after all, it's going to get dangerous after it rains," I told them while watching those two walk away. "John warmed up to him well," Bass announced. "John is still young. He senses things about people that we don't anymore." I told him. After a few minutes, they came back. Master Andrew looked as though he was better and not completely worried anymore. " you do know that my flames go around the camp so I will know if anything happens, I will know," I told him while the campfire turned blue. The men complained that the meat would not cook. "Fire is fire; the meat will cook now; knock it off," Keshna called out, and the men fell silent though their auras were the same. After a while, Andrew came back and sat next to me. "John will stay with the horses for a little while." Master Andrew told me. "I will go and check on him," Keshna announced before leaving us, and in a second, everyone vanished except two people to attend to the boar and deer meat. 

   "Is there any way you can tell me about yourself?" he asked me, and when I went to open my mouth, he quickly piped up. "It can be your likes or dislikes if you want." I couldn't help but laugh; this man was desperate to know me. "The only thing I don't like are peppers, I like things clean and neat, and I don't like people mouthing off or taring somebody down at any moment. The rest of it you will learn on the way." I told him, and he started laughing. "Well, that's more than I thought you would say. Though I wouldn't say I like veggies, I will eat them because I will not waste anyone's work. I will do my best to keep everyone happy and do many chores." he told me. "I see; well, as a Lord, you will not be doing any type of labor on your own, and the only happiness that counts is yourself." I told him. He just gave me a confused look. It stayed silent for a few before he started talking again. What skills do you have besides gathering and your changing flames blue?" he asked. "I have way too many talents, though none to kill anyone or anything. My talents are those that you would have to see for yourself and not for me to tell," I told him. "Understood; I will also show you what I got," Andrew said with a half smile. "I will hold you to that," I told him. "I am not sure what's going on, but I can't seem to feel easy," he said while looking around. "It's understandable you with people you have no clue about, and your life got thrown into the fire pit where people will try to kill you. And don't forget you are in the devil's forest, where everything will eventually kill you. "One piece of advice don't show fear around these men; you would be asking them to kill you themselves," I told him. "What about you?" he asked me. "I don't kill those I am meant to protect, nor does Keshna," I informed him.

    Once the food was cooked, everyone took turns eating and gauding the camp. Andrew ensured he was among the last people to eat, so his men had their fill. However, John made sure to save him a good chunk of meat from both beasts. After eating, he retired to the tent where John and Bass took the first guard. I stayed by the fire until it started to rain, so I went back into the wagon, fed Camazot, and let him out to take flight for the night with a litter to Lord Quarry. With my flames unassailable to the rain, I was not worried about not knowing what was around us. I did, however, have a lantern-lit so if I woke up, I could instantly know if anything was wrong.