Chapter 3: The Strike and the Siege.

While Thomas, Burnett, and Proteus discussed any possible options, Lady, Alec and, Tasha reviewed the defenses of the main city. Inspecting each one very closely.

"I check with the others each day." A royal guard in green spoke informatively. "As of today, we are all okay on ammo for the catapults and other siege engines. Furthermore, with help from the farms and villages, we are able to stock up on a very plentiful emergency food supply. I checked and double-checked every last one too. Anything on your checklist should be all okay and ready for usage if need be."

The queen nodded as she and everyone else listened in. She was honestly quite impressed that one guard alone would even take time out of his day to carefully to check everything.

"I am at a loss of words, Montigue." The queen admitted. The guard smiled as he prepared to continue on sharpening his sword.

"Oh, just call me Duck. My cousin and friends say I waddle, and I must admit, the nickname stuck on me." He then glanced back at his weapon as the queen then turned back toward the princess and High-Sage.

"Looks like he really saved us the trouble." She remarked. "And with Montiuge being a long time member of the royal guard, he would seem reliable."

"I agree." Lady complied. "Say, let's quickly relay this to dad and see what he, Thomas, and Proteus can come up with this information."

They darted off in a flash.

Hoping that they are able to somehow push the forces sent by Landon back.

Within the council room, Thomas, Burnett, and Proteus all stood at the table, discussing different tactics they could go by for the coming attack. Being the open-minded ones they were, they didn't even bicker once about it.

"With the number of escape ways, we could escort the citizens out of the city and to safer passages." Burnett first explained as he pointed to several different areas on a map of the city. Thomas frowned some as he began to think on the escort and escape plan's weaknesses.

"Though that is smart and ideal, it still won't stop Landon's forces from killing you and taking over. I do admire your dedication to your subjects, Burnett, but should you fall, so does the kingdom. All the same though, the escape routes are a good idea. With help from the Crystalline Knights, we could still escort the non-combatants out while holding defensive. If the seige engines and catapults are in good condition, we could push the enemy back. Furthermore, I have more control over my Crystals now. If I wanted to, I cut some of the enemies down with them."

"That could work." Proteus remarked thoughtfully. "But how long could you last with the constant summoning of your crystals? I mean, they use a lot of mana, right? If the siege engines are not in good condition, you could die from mana exhaustion."

"Good point." Thomas replied solemnly. "Well, even so. We won't know for sure until Lady, Alec, and Tasha get back from checking the defenses. We know the strong and weak points of each possible plan now. The moment when we get a better picture of the defenses and everything else, the better plan we can have."

"Well, I guess it is a good thing we are here then." A voice spoke out. Burnett, Thomas, and Proteus looked over and found, Lady, Tasha, and Alec at the door. Before any confusion could stir, Lady spoke on her mother's behalf.

"The royal guard, Montiuge Collet saved us the trouble and gave us his own report of the emergency food supply, catapults and siege engines. Everything was in order, per his word. So we should be able to use them if we need too." Burnett cracked a smile as he heard the name that came from Lady's mouth.

"Ah! Montague. Yes! He is quite the reliable chap! Safe to say that he has done so correctly and thoroughly. That said, looking at the time we have left, and the present report of the defenses looks like a siege may be our best option. We'll bolster our present defenses, fortify the palace, and have our citizens all gathered in a place where we can better protect them, as well as an escape route should things get too much for us. Proteus! Alert the royal guard and tell them to prepare for a siege! Thomas! You do the same for the Crystalline Knights! Now hurry!"