viii. the rust between telephones

The week following Billy and Margot's chance encounter at the grocery store, Teddy Price paid The Six a visit at a rehearsal space in the San Fernando Valley. He listened to the four songs they prepared, and after playing them a demo of  'Starlight' and giving Margot Cameron a call; The Six were offered a recording and publishing deal. Although, the devils were in the details as Price insisted that Margot Cameron be on the band's debut  unbeknownst to anyone that in the fine print of the contract, hidden between the lines of terms and conditions, Margot Cameron's lease on life had been torn apart by fate.

TEDDY PRICE: What can I say? They knocked my fucking socks off. You'd get a feelin', listening to The Six. They were in their own little worlds when they performed, completely lost in the sound. The feeling, if anything but an ineffable mystery, was love. And Billy had a real talent for writing about love. Watching the five of them together, it felt a bit like I was on the outside looking in. Like the match was bound to strike and I'd stand witness to something great catching fire. I've only had that sort of experience with one of my other clients, and that was Margot.

Margot Cameron was a phoenix, a beautiful disaster just waiting to happen. And Billy Dunne, in due time, would become the ashes beneath her. She'd rise fast with his help but fall even quicker at the slip of his hand. It was always that way — one extreme or the other. With those two, they'd either be at each other's throats or two silhouettes walking arm-in-arm down Sunset Boulevard. It was what made them electric, a little dangerous too. When emotions ran high and sparks flew, you'd never know if they were shooting to kill, you'd just take cover on the comedown. 

They were like speeding along the PCH with the top down, or the moth to a flame analogy; you do it because it's bad for you and you like the feeling of flames licking at your skin. Their chemistry was a world above anything I'd seen in a long while, even through her hateful facade. Bless her, it was well practised and executed, but she forgets I know her. She wasn't a hateful person, simple as that.

The fans liked to experience the hating game, only from afar. They got to keep their hands clean, while behind closed doors it was a massacre of families and broken promises. Always one heart broke, four hands bloody. They enjoyed the bruised and bloodied battle, the constant tug of war between Billy and Margot and then Daisy. Margot gave him that growl to his voice and Billy elicited those infamous guitar string scars on her fingertips. I had the means to make history — it's not every day that you come across two souls like theirs, both with talent so rare. I wasn't at liberty to be making mistakes, but hell, that didn't stop me from trying. That's just how right 'The Six, feat. Margot Cameron' felt.

GRAHAM DUNNE: I thought Teddy was a genius. The truth is, we needed Margot. Maybe more than she needed us, but I wasn't too stubborn to admit that. Billy didn't admit to defeat as easily. He went back and forth with Teddy, trying with no avail to change his mind. I could see the desperation in his eyes, the last thing my brother ever wanted for the band was charity from an outside party. But at the end of the day, all Billy wanted was to please Teddy. To prove himself, show he was good enough. So before the California sun had time to set, Billy put his faith in Teddy's hands as he signed the contract. All our names, forever signed in blue ink, welcoming the official sixth member into The Six. It made sense, really.