Chapter Thirteen

"Jalil you told me that it was cold, but you never told me how cold it actually was." Nadia said as she stuffed her hands into her pockets.
           The pair had made it to New York, and they had just stepped out of the cab that was taking them to Jalil's grandmother's house. He wanted her to have a true New York experience, so they didn't take a car. He knew that with NY traffic, he'd never get to where he was going quickly.  Instead, they would be walking and taking cabs. They had dropped their things off at the Air B&B and after changing their clothes and getting freshened up, they decided head to his grandmother's home.
           "Baby it'll be fine. Come on, we have 3 blocks to go before we're in front of my grandmother's brownstone." Jalil said kissing her forehead lightly.
           The couple walked and Jalil pointed out a lot of his favorite childhood places.
           "And this right here is where I played basketball. As you can see the town didn't care about us having a net so we made one. Mr. Hardin – a local blacksmith down the street, told us to find some scraps of metal. So we did. Me, Peanut, and Dino." He said as he smiled at the memory.
           "Where is Mr. Hardin now?" Nadia asked.
           "He passed while I was in the pin." Jalil said. "My grandma wrote me a letter telling me that he passed away in his sleep. He was like 90 something. But I heard his son and grandson took over the shop."
           They continued their walk and soon heard the laughter of children. Nadia looked to her left and saw a group of girls and boys playing in the park. They were bundled up and yet despite the cold weather, their laughter sent warmth throughout Nadia's body.
           A little girl saw her looking at them and waved. Nadia and Jalil waved at the little girl and she turned, running after one of her friend.
           Tugging her hands gently, Jalil looked at Nadia. "This is my Grandma Rose's brownstone."
           Nadia looked at the neatness of the brownstone. Although it was cold outside, she saw a light on in one of the rooms and inside of the windowsill lay a flower pot. Nadia saw the purple bloom and immediately knew that it was a pansy.
           She felt Jalil move up the steps and she followed him, feeling her nervousness set in with each step. Jalil rang the doorbell and waited a few seconds before a younger woman came to the door. She wore scrubs and Jalil squinted his eyebrows. Who is this and why is she answering my grandmother's door?, Jalil thought to himself.
           The younger woman looked at him and instantly smiled. "Oh my. You must be Jalil, Mrs. Rosa's grandson. She told me that you would be stopping by today. Oh, she's gonna be so excited to see you."
           The younger woman allowed them to step inside of the home. Familiarity set immiediatley into Jalil's body. He saw the familiar pictures of his dad and him, his great-grandparents, and he smiled seeing the younger pictures of his Grandma Rosa.
           "I'm Kara by the way. Her caretaker. I've been with Mrs. Rosa for 'bout a year now." Kara said as she smiled at the young couple in front of her.
           "My grandma didn't mention anything about a caretaker." Jalil said. His mind was going in a million different directions. He couldn't understand why his grandmother did not want tell him when they'd talked just a few hours ago.
           "I know she didn't. I asked her the same thing once she told me you'd be coming. But, she told me that she wants you to tell you herself." Kara said looking at Jalil. "C'mon. I'll lead you to her."
           When Kara turned her back and began walking, Jalil felt his feet stuck to the ground. Lord, please let my grandma be ok, Jalil silently prayed.
           Nadia saw the  swirl of emotions in Jalil's face. She put her hand on the trunk of his spine. "Baby, I'm right here. I got you, ok?"
           Jalil nodded at Nadia's words and held her hands as they walked down a hallway. Kara stood in the doorway of a backroom and smiled warmly at Jalil. "She's reading a book. But she knows you're here. Mrs. Rosa, Jalil is here."
           Jalil entered the room and met the kind eyes of his grandmother. While she had gotten older, her hazel eyes still had that special gleam in them.
           Smiling, Jalil watched at his grandmother closed the book and sat up in the bed. Kara immediately came to her aid and put pillows under her back and Jalil sat in the chair that was placed by her bedside. Nadia stood back, with Kara by her side.
           "Hey Grandma." Jalil said as he grabbed his grandmother's hand. "It's so nice to see you."
           Tears fell from his grandmother's eyes as she patted her grandson's hands. "It's nice to see you as well, Jalil. I've been waiting for you. I'm so glad you're here."
           Jalil looked at the book his grandmother was reading and saw that it was ROOTS by Alex Haley.
           "Grandma, how many times have you read ROOTS?" Jalil asked.
           His grandmother looked at the worn original 1977 cover of the book. "A few times here and there." She said. "How have you been?"
           "I'm good Grandma. Really good, actually. I got a truck- it's tan and has crème leather interior. I love it but it's so cold when you first sit down." Jalil said, causing his grandmother to giggle. Her laughs turned into a stream of cough's. Kara came to her side and gave her water, which the older lady drank with eagerness.
           "Kara, thank you." Grandma Rosa said. "I see you've met Kara."
           Jalil nodded. "Yeah, I did." Jalil said looking at Kara and nodding at her. "Grandma, why do you have a caretaker?"
           Grandma Rose inhaled before she exhaled and fixed her eyes on her grandson. While Jalil was 28 years old, she still saw him as that little boy she'd loved.
           "Jalil, I have been diagnosed with stage two breast cancer." Grandma Rosa said.
           Jalil allowed tears to fall as he cried. Into his grandmother's lap. Nadia bit her lip, allowing tears of her own to fall. Kara held her hands infront of her and silently prayed.
           Grandma Rosa wiped her own tears. "Sshhh. Baby it's alright." She said as she rubbed her grandsons back as he cried on her.
           "G-Grandma Rosa, what do you mean?" Jalil asked.
           "Baby, I'm alright. I've got some of the best doctors in the world taking care of me. And Kara is a superhero. I'm alright."
           Jalil nodded, but he was hurt. His grandmother meant the world to him and to hear this news was breaking his heart in places he never knew existed.
           When he had calmed down, Jalil kissed his grandmother's hands. "Grandma you're so strong."
           "I got to be, baby. If I let this diagnosis beat be down, I'd whoop my own self." She said, causing everyone in the room to laugh. "Baby boy, I'm gonna be alright. But I know I'm no spring chicken. But I have faith. And faith during the trials of life is most important. You remember that now." She nodded towards him and he listened eagerly.
           "Now, enough of all this crying. I am so pleased to see you. God allowed me to have some strength today so I got up- with Kara's- help- and made your favorite: strawberry cheesecake. New York style. I know them food places in South Carolina don't have a clue about authentic cheesecake.  I sound just like Sophia from the Golden Girl's don't I?" Grandma Rosa said before laughing at herself. Jalil laughed too, happy to see that his grandmother was just as spunky as ever.
           "And hello to you too, Miss Lady." Grandma Rosa said, fixing her hazel eyes on the young lady who had stood quietly in the background with Kara. She observed her, admiring her rose colored scarf which covered her head gracefully and her deep chocolate skin.
           "Hi-Hi, ma'am." Nadia stammered. She cleared her throat. "How are you?"
           "I'm fine. But I would be better if you sat next to me." Grandma Rosa said as she patted the seat on the bed beside her. Nadia  listened and sat down on the bed.
           Grandma Rosa looked at her. "Well, you certainly are beautiful." She complimented, causing Nadia to blush.
           "Thank you ma'am. You're beautiful as well. Jalil showed me some pictures of you back in the day and you were breathtaking."
           "Were? Baby girl I still am! Now that chemo has taken my hair, Kara and I have been looking into wigs. And let me tell you- I feel like a new woman with every new wig I purchase." Grandma Rosa said, causing everyone to laugh.
           "Kara, come on and sit down. I got all my babies here and I'm feeling good." Grandma Rosa said. Once Kara sat down, they began talking about everything. Jalil held his grandmother's hands the entire time and Nadia noticed the action, feeling her heart swell. She knew that he loved his grandmother deeply. But to see them interact made her love Jalil even more.
           After a few hours of conversation, Grandma Rosa began to get tired.
           "Jalil, I'm tired now. But I want you and Nadia here tommorow. I need you to cook for Thanksgiving." His grandmother instructed.
           Jalil nodded his head yes. "Gram's you don't even have to worry. Is it ok if Nadia and I come stay with you? I can cancel our Air B&B."
           His grandmother smiled a warm smile. "I was waiting for you to ask that. Yes, you can. I already have the guest bedrooms fixed up for you, Nadia. Jalil- your old room is intact."
           Jalil kissed his grandmother's forehead and stood, looking for Nadia. They met eyes and she nodded her head yes.
           "I already cancelled it. The owner was nice once I explained it was a family emergency." Nadia said.
           "Thank you, baby. Grandma- we'll be right back." Jalil said as he walked over to Nadia and grabbed her hand.

**

           Morning dawned bright and Nadia rolled over in the bed, opening her eyes to the pale green walls. Squinting her eyes in confusion, Nadia then remembered that she was in New York, and not in her apartment in South Carolina.
            The smell of bacon wafted through the air and her stomach nodded. Pulling back the sheets, Nadia was greeted with warm air. She stood and walked to the bathroom. After getting dressed, she walked out of the room and soon entered the kitchen.
           "Goodmorning." Nadia called out to everyone. Jalil smiled and winked at her as he stood over the stove, flipping bacon. Grandma Rosa passed a cup to her and the sweet smell of vanilla hit her nose.
           "Thank you, Mrs. Rosa." Nadia replied, picking up the cup. She allowed the hot coffee to hit her tastebuds and immediately moaned.
           "Mrs. Rosa this coffee is amazing. What did you put in it?" Nadia asked, taking another sip.
           "The secret is oat milk. I'm lactose intolerant and after some trial and error, I found oat milk. It has completely changed the game for me." Grandma Rosa explained. "And please, call me Grandma Rosa."
           Nadia smiled warmly and glanced at Jalil. He looked back at her and smiled, nodding his head yes. Nadia looked back at Grandma Rosa, her eyes holding a steady gaze on her.
           "Jalil tells me that there is gonna be a wedding. Have you two set a date?'
           "Yes ma'am- May 24th." Nadia said, thinking about the planning she and Jalil had done so far.
           "Wonderful! May is a beautiful time of year. Just let me know what color to wear so I can buy myself a new wig." Grandma Rosa said, earning giggles from Nadia and a head shake from Jalil.
           "Grandma Rosa, we're thinking about a deep maroon pink and a blush pink for our colors." Jalil said.
           Grandma Rosa nodded in approval. "Those are nice. You can find some really nice flowers, like roses of course. But also peonies, clematis', and others."
           "Yes, I've been thinking about those a lot! Especially the roses. But I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to accent them." Nadia said.
           "Oh, Nadia honey that's easy. A nice eucalyptus plant, also some white daises as well. Different greenery can work too." Grandma Rosa said. Nadia hung on to the older woman's words. She was glad to have someone to talk flowers with.
           Breakfast was soon served and after Kara came over, Jalil and Nadia began cooking.
           "Ok baby, I need you to cut the potatoes so we can add them to the turkey for roasting." Jalil said and Nadia followed his instructions.
           As she cut the potatoes, she felt Jalil's hand snake across her waist. Nadia smiled at the action and looked towards the door.
           "Baby my grandma and Kara are probably sleep. Grandma said they nap together."
           Nadia laughed and put the knife down, allowing herself to look into the kind eyes of her fiancé.
           "Thank you for being here with me." Jalil said. "You don't know how much this means to me."
           "I wouldn't trade this for the world. I love seeing you and your grandma talk. You guys act alike. Especially in how you guys scrunch your face up when you're listening real hard." Nadia laughed and Jalil smiled at the sound of her laughter.
           "I love you so much." Jalil said.
           Nadia pecked his lips. "I love you too."
           Jalil kissed her forehead before looking at her progress on the potatoes.
           "Ok assistant chef, after these potatoes are done I wanna show you how to make cocunt custard."
           Nadia smiled at his words and held on to his every word.

~

Ok, Grandma Rosa is too cute! Summer is here, so expect some updates! I love y'all!

With love,
Malaysia