here comes the sun

Kel couldn't help but overhear a hushed conversation between his older siblings, 15-year-old Kaia and 14-year-old Aric, while they were at the training ground. They seemed to think he wouldn't catch wind of their secretive exchange, but Kel was no stranger to their conspiratorial ways. They were thick as thieves, those older siblings of his.

Kaia's voice carried a hint of a smile as she mentioned something about a surprise baby, supposed to be in its seventh week. Aric responded softly, referring to their father's mention of it and expressing hope that this would be an easy one compared to previous ones.

He then glanced at Kel with affection and joked about how their littlest brother would no longer hold the baby title.

Unable to contain himself, Kel abruptly stopped his shooting and stomped over to where they stood, scolding them for gossiping like a couple of quidnuncs at a fish market. He didn't quite understand the meaning of the word, but he had heard the Armorer use it once when grumbling while working on a chainmail, about pompous clan leaders from the west who couldn't keep their tongues from malicious comments. It was such a fancy word, and he couldn't resist wondering what it meant.

But for now, he had to focus on the matter at hand-why hadn't they started practicing? They had promised him a session today.

They both looked sheepish and mumbled apologies, coaxing him to continue the practice. Aric even pinched Kel's cheek proudly and commented on where he had learned about quidnuncs on Mandalore, teasing him about the big word.

Kel basked in the praise for a moment, feeling a surge of pride, before realizing it was a diversion tactic. Not today! He pressed them further, wanting to know what they were talking about-the baby and whose it was.

Kaia and Aric exchanged awkward glances before Kaia mustered up the resolve to speak. She looked directly at Kel and said, "Okay, please sit and listen, Kel."

That was her "big sister" voice-the one that always made him comply, or else. So he automatically took a seat on the bench beside her.

"Mom is going to have a baby," she finally revealed.

Kel's world tilted on its axis, a surge of emotions and scenarios flooding his mind. There was a sudden ache in his stomach, or maybe it was in his chest. What was this feeling? It was anxiety-inducing, leaving him momentarily silenced before he burst into tears.

---

Later that day, after a lot of comforting and the cancellation of their training session, Kel finally managed to calm down. It took moments of Kaia hugging him tightly, him clinging to her like a baby porglet, and Aric coaxing him with bowls of nectrose freeze. Eventually, Kel was reduced to a sad hiccup ball with smeared milk cream on his mouth and cheeks in the kitchen.

But Kel refused to talk to their parents about it, so he abruptly left when Kaia answered their holo call that evening. She had sent a frantic message to their parents, urgently asking for advice on how to handle their youngest, who was having an unusual meltdown. As Kaia and Aric glanced at each other, they realized they might have messed up a little by bombarding Kel with the news without a proper strategy.