Lesson 1

Demeter stormed out of the Council Chambers, her long legs carrying her effortlessly away from the source of her disgruntlement as her mind replayed what had just happened. Fucking Dz and his ignorance had inadvertently undermined her, once again ensuring a battle with her conservative, short sighted council colleagues.

"Demeter!" Dz called, jogging in an attempt to catch up with her. Not his best idea.

"Don't!" She spun on her heel and clenched her fists, fury rolling off her in waves. "Have you any idea what your mindless childishness has just cost me?"

"It just came out, I didn't–"

"Think? Mean it? Care?" Grabbing the lapel of his coat she dragged him towards her face and snarled vehemently, "I am tempted to knock you into the next realm for this, Dz."

"I'll make it good, I'll–"

"You will leave it alone!" Demeter roared, pinning him in place with her red eyed glare. "You've done enough damage. I don't want to see you anywhere near Council Chambers again, understand?"

Sighing heavily, Dz had the sense to know now wasn't the time to argue his case. Instead he  held up his hands in surrender and nodded his compliance.

"You would do well to remember your station," Demeter growled, turning her back to stride away, "perhaps I should teach you a lesson you won't soon forget."

***

I knew there were others out there like Dz, well no, not like Dz, but part of Dz's world. He'd told me about a few of them, ones that were safe and one in particular he warned me to stay away from. What he'd neglected to tell me was that I should expect a visit from some sort of dignitary to vet me.

I'd opened the door expecting Dz and found myself face to face with the most exquisite creature any artist could dream up. Her vivid red rimmed charcoal pupils looked at me from a porcelain face. Black markings painted her eyes, streaking down to her cheekbones and disappearing up beneath an intricate black material crown that adorned the top of her head. Ivory hair hung down past her shoulders covering her ears but for the darkened pointed and elongated tips.

"Oh yes, I can see why he likes you." Her lips quirk into a half smile, revealing fangs and I can't help but stare. Shifting her gaze from my eyes, she looks me up and down and her smile morphs into a confident smirk. It makes my stomach flip and suddenly I'm feeling very flustered.

"Please excuse my unannounced interruption, I'm Demeter, I believe you know one of my subjects?"

She oozes authority and importance, and I don't doubt for one second that she is deadly. There's no denying the powerful aura she emits, even simply standing out on my porch she fills the space without even trying.

"Dz?" She clarifies as I just stand there, mouth open, making a complete fool of myself.

"Oh, uh, yeah." Shaking my head to clear the bewilderment I remember my manners, "Sorry, would you like to come in?"

She nods once, dipping her head in a controlled gesture,  "I would love to."

Stepping aside I open the door wider, inviting in this new entity, wondering just how in the hell I'd gotten here.

***

After the first meeting with Demeter I had promised to keep her presence in my life a complete secret. She explained how difficult it was for her to move freely between our worlds and that she didn't want to bring any undue attention my way. Not that I had anyone to tell, I mean, who would believe me? Well, Dz obviously but he wasn't exactly chatty, after he'd wrecked me with whatever sex games we happen to play during his visit, he'd go on his way. At his insistence, we were fuck buddies not friends.