A Solace Found

The unassuming house appears in front of me and with a sweeping assessment of the vicinity I'm satisfied I'm here alone. Still, it doesn't hurt to exercise caution, so I remain camouflaged in the shadows, observing the street, inhaling deeply for any familiar scents.

There's nothing to cause any alarm, only the sweet, seductive bouquet of peonies, jasmine and cedar wood I've come to adore. A scent as light and delicate as her soul, it calls to me, like a secret beacon only a few are fortunate enough to detect.

The porch is dark but I know she's inside, probably putting off making food because she's had a trying day and she's unable to mentally and physically process the task at hand. I know her routine because I study her; I listen when she talks, take note of what makes her joyful and animated, and equally what causes her to quieten and retreat into herself. I could possibly feel bad about this given that she's so unassuming, so unaware that I have such a deep interest in her... but I don't. I won't, not when it gives me insight enough to maintain the upper hand.

As I stride towards the front door, I imagine the sweet look of surprise on her angelic face, anticipating how her large eyes will widen before darting around shyly, looking anywhere but directly at me. And then her cheeks will heat from coyness and disbelief, though how she's still unable to grasp her allurement astounds me. It makes me want to gut those who gave her these insecurities and wove the deep set self-loathing into her beautiful head.

I can all but taste her uncertainty already, feel the way the air around her changes to nervous excitement as I ask if I may enter... She's never yet denied me but I will always give her the choice.

Yes, my little human will always have the opportunity to refuse me. She will always have the final say in what happens between us. She sets the pace, she controls our interactions, she decides on the outcome. I'm in charge, but she has the power to stop me... Oh, the irony of her remaining clueless as to her level of influence.

The creaking porch steps announce my arrival but her ears cannot hear me. Mine, however, detect the unmistakable racket of the inane computer game she seems to favor. I smirk as I imagine her hunched over, tense, fighting to survive. In some ways it's priming her for me, increasing her heart rate and elevating her adrenaline levels, so I suppose I should be glad for it, but it annoys me. The noise alone is enough to drive me to despair.

My knock is swift and sharp, and I take a moment to compose my face into a softer, more approachable expression. Humans are skittish and haven't historically taken well to my sharp angles and predatory fangs. Though not her, no, she quite likes the sting of my teeth scraping at her throat. Even so, she's not expecting me and I don't want to rattle my poor dove.

She swings the flimsy wooden door open, her expression one of confusion until we lock eyes. It's too easy. I don't have to do a thing except exist in the same moment as her. With appreciation, I take in the changes in her body. Her heart stutters before it increases in tempo alongside her breathing. Her scent grows thick and her eyes – oh, those fucking eyes that look at me like I'm everything – they grow so wide I can see myself in their reflection.

"Good evening, Bunny, I hope I'm not interrupting your night?"

Her mouth opens and the softest gasp leaves her delectable lips. "Demeter? Is everything okay?"

At the sign of her anxiousness two things happen simultaneously. The predatory urge to latch my teeth onto her creamy, bare neck and fuck her till she screams out for help, competes with the swell of protectiveness that tells me to calm her nerves and soothe the worrying scrunch of her nose.

My beautiful, kind, witty and smart little dove. She is so sweet, so wonderful, so human. She never expects anything, never asks for anything from me, though if she did, I would give it to her in a heartbeat. She's so unlike everyone else in my life, giving me the space I need to peel off the formalities of my job. She allows me to breathe without the mask of royalty marring my thoughts or actions and it is such a unique experience for me. With my doe I am free.