21. (now i know) what you are

TWENTY-ONE: (NOW I KNOW) WHAT YOU ARE

FLIPPING THE SWITCH ISN'T HARD, she had done it every time she performed surgery; it's what separated good doctors and extraordinary, life-changing doctors like her

FLIPPING THE SWITCH ISN'T HARD, she had done it every time she performed surgery; it's what separated good doctors and extraordinary, life-changing doctors like her. Leaving the nonsense, everything personal and distracting, beyond those doors, labeled O.R., she focused on what she knew she had to do.

   Right now is nothing new.

   The Governor butchered her father, and now she needs to kill him. God, or whoever controlled the events that just partook, is cruel and she doesn't care if He, or anyone, decides to bring hell upon her—nothing can hurt her any more than the destruction of her entire soul. 

   The rain never wavers; the light droplets fail to extinguish the fire blazing her soul with every step she takes toward the governor.

   He has Rick pinned down on the muddy ground, choking him to death. Not permitting him to kill another person she loves, Josephine quickens her pace. As soon as she nears him, she throws her foot forward and collides the sole of her boot against the side of the governor's face.

   Tumbling off, Rick gasps for oxygen. Josephine can't hide her look of disgust down at the Governor as she protectively steps over Rick's heaving body. Phillip attempts to get up, but Josephine kicks him again in the stomach, keeping him down.

   "Jo," Rick wheezes, but his calls fall on deaf ears. He tries again, but Josephine ignores him, so he instead limps to find his son.

   Josephine occupied with hurting Phillip as much as she wants, grabs him by the collar of his leather jacket and drags him like a rabid dog sentenced to be put down. Gripping with both hands she throws him against the turned-over bus. Not giving him time to regain his balance she takes a fistful of his hair—also hoping to take off his entire scalp with her bare hands—and slams him into the wet metal like he did to her. A smudge of blood is left before the rain washes it down.

   While his brain continues to rattle in his skull, Phillip falls back, his body trying to persuade him to give up. Josephine doesn't allow him the courtesy. Spotting his twinkling nickel Barretta a few feet away from them, Josephine adds her entire weight in her foot as she steps on him to grab the gun.

   Feeling his entire guts shift under her, Phillip lunges for her foot to pull her down; she is too quick and in one swift motion, she swats him away and kicks him in the face to snap him away from her.

   Huffing out a breath of annoyance, she picks up the gun and swivels around to shoot him point blank. At the same time, Phillip jumps on her and locks her arms to the side causing her to pull the trigger into the open plain slowly being filled by walkers.

   Falling back, Josephine's L-1 vertebrae lands directly on a sharp rock. Shrieking out from the impact, Phillip uses this to his advantage. Sinking his nails into her wrist and repeatedly hitting it against the slippery Earth, he manages to pry the gun from her hands. Tossing it aside, he decides he wants to feel the life leave her body, staring directly into her eyes and be certain he is the last person she ever sees before she dies.