Chapter 3: The Apprentice

12-year-old Lincoln Loud stood outside the Royal Woods Junior High School, just having exited the ancient family vehicle, Vanzilla. The new school year had started, and with it, Lincoln was starting a new chapter in his life. A part of him, however, felt rather melancholy. Just a few months ago, before everything happened, he had fantasized about attending this school with his best friends, but they were now all grown and moved on since he disappeared. Now he was forced to face Jr. High alone, and in a new decade nonetheless. So much had changed, and he was terrified.

But he was also the Man with the Plan. He grit his teeth and took a deep breath, and began walking towards the school. Once he was inside, he was attempting to find his new locker, but wasn't paying attention to his surroundings. He came to an abrupt stop when he bumped into something large. Looking up from his map of the campus, he came face-to-face with the largest kid he had ever seen in his life, easily much larger than Hank and Hawk ever were.

"Watch where you're goin', punk!" Said the kid, pushing Lincoln backwards.

"S-sorry, I didn't mean to..." Lincoln began.

"What's your problem, huh?" Said the kid, poking Lincoln hard in the chest with his finger. Surprisingly, Lincoln didn't budge, and it even hurt the boy's finger to do so. "Geez, what the hell are you, that hurt!"

"I-I didn't-" Lincoln stuttered nervously.

"Hey, leave him alone!"

The boys turned to the sound of the voice. Marching quickly down the hall was a young woman, about Lincoln's age, wearing a brown leather jacket over a red shirt with the words "byte me" written on the chest, wearing jeans and black and white sneakers. As she approached, she stood between Lincoln and the bully, staring at her quarry menacingly.

"Back off, Jimbo," said the girl. "Unless you wanna deal with me!"

"Oh yeah, and what are you gonna do about it, tiny?" Jimbo sneered.

"Screw around and find out, fatty!" The girl shot back.

Lincoln was impressed. Not only was this Jimbo character at least a foot taller than her, but he had a much bulkier build as well. Yet this wonder woman stood tall, unafraid and undeterred by her enemy's girth and menace. A vein in Jimbo's forehead began to bulge when she had insulted his weight, and he seethed with anger.

"That's it, you're dead!" He screamed, throwing a punch. He stopped short, however, when his fist was intercepted by another hand. Shocked, he saw that Lincoln had somehow stepped in between himself and the girl and managed to catch his fist. All nervousness and pretense was gone, and he was staring at Jimbo with an intense glare that surprised both himself and the girl.

"Take a walk," he said, shoving him backwards with enough force to knock him into the lockers. "Now." Jimbo cringed slightly before collecting himself. Without another word, he walked off down the hallway and out of sight.

Lincoln took a deep breath before he turned to the girl. He was taken aback when she leaned forward, nearly nose to nose with him. She didn't say anything at first, but looked like she was studying him.

"Uh...hi?" Said Lincoln. "I'm Lincoln Loud...the second." He was still getting used to saying that.

The girl finally leaned back and smiled, shaking his hand vigorously. "Nice to meetcha!" She said enthusiastically. "My name's Memory!"

"Memory?" Asked Lincoln.

"That's me!" She said, laughing. Still holding his hand, she began to drag him to class. "C'mon, new BFF, we've got class. Just stick with me!"

That was one of Lincoln's fondest memories, the day he met his new best friend.