Part IIII

Sitting there in the courtroom waiting to get called up to speak was informative, to say the least. Today, all we were doing was proving that they had enough evidence to possibly prove Deon guilty. This trial should mostly be short and to the point, with just the prosecutors presenting their evidence and the defense cross-examining it all. I wasn't sure what to expect when it came to evidence, so I was ready to know what I was up against.
"The accused matches every profile of this serial killer we have," the prosecutor began. Their evidence didn't seem to be too strong as of yet, it was all circumstantial evidence.  I had a feeling that proving Deon was innocent was going to be easier than I thought. As I started to get more confident, though, my world came crashing down.
"This hair was found at the scene of victim #10 is a positive match for the defendant's DNA." I began to freak out. There was no way Deon was the serial killer, I knew it. There had to be another explanation for this. They then called Deon up to the stand to defend himself.
"Were you ever in the presence of Noah Thorne?" The prosecutor asked.
"Yes," Deon responded.
"How did you know Thorne?" he questioned, pacing up and down the floor of the courtroom.
"He was my father's best friend."
"Have you seen Mr. Thorne recently?" Deon glanced around nervously.
"Yes," he said.
"That will be all for now, Mr. Solace, thank you." Deon remained on the stand while his attorney came up to ask him questions.
"Mr. Ackers, were you with Noah Thorne on the evening of June 10th?" His attorney asked.
"I was not," Deon replied.
"Why, then, was your hair at the crime scene?"
"I visited Noah often, especially after my father passed away. He was older and lonely, so he enjoyed my company, and I felt bad just leaving him alone." His attorney nodded at his response.
"Does the prosecution have any other evidence to incriminate Mr. Ackers?" his attorney asked, facing the side of the prosecutors.
"We do," he said, standing up again to present more evidence.
"Mr. Ackers, you are dismissed from the stand," the judge said. Deon walked back down to his seat and sat down, letting out a long sigh in the process. He was obviously extremely nervous, and that made me nervous. I believed that he had nothing to hide, but if the judge or anyone else saw how anxious he was, they might start to doubt that he was innocent.
"We would like to call to your attention to the fact that Mr. Acker's father knew every single one of the victims of this serial killer," the prosecutor began.
"Objection, your honor, this is conjecture," Deon's lawyer said.
     "Overruled," the judge said. Deon's lawyer sighed and shook his head, sitting back down. He leaned over and whispered something in Deon's ear, they were both visibly upset.
     "I'd like to call a witness to the stand," the prosecutor said. The judge nodded her head, signaling for him to continue.
     "Everette Larlee, please come to the stand." I stood up and made my way up to the stand, swore myself in, and sat down.