Seven

I throw my notepad and pen into my bag, checking my phone for the time once more and seeing the message of a smiley face from Micah after I confirmed I was still going to show up to the park tonight and that, no, I really didn't need a lift.

It was a twenty minute walk and the sun was just beginning to set outside so I wouldn't have to walk in the dark too long.

It was very safe in our pack, crime was low and most people followed all the rules save for a handful. But still, I lived in one of the more... unstable parts of town and you never really knew what could happen.

Thinking of that, and knowing it would most definitely be dark when I walked back, I chucked in some emergency pepper spray my dad brought me a while ago-just for good measure. And then I proceeded to climb down the stairs, not before announcing the drop of my ladder.

"Off already? Can't you stay to eat something before you go, dinners almost ready," my mom says as I walk into the kitchen, grabbing my coat and a beanie for the walk back.

"Henry's already here," I lie, shrugging my coat over my shoulders. "I can't keep him or the interviewee waiting," I say and my dad walks around the corner, walking to my mom and kissing her on the cheek before furrowing his brows at me.

"You're leaving now?" He asks, stealing a piece of food from the pan and earning a light slap to which he smirks.

"Yeah," I say with a sigh, tugging my boots on.

"Do you need some money for food?" He asks and I shake my head.

"I'll get dinner at Henry's after, his mom saved a plate," I say and he nods.

"I think its good you're doing this new thing sweetie, and it's great to have Henry to help you," my mom says with a smile and my dad nods.

"We both do," my dad agrees, his hand finding her waist.

"Cool, well I won't be back too late anyway but I'll give you a text if I need anything," I say, walking towards the door.

"Don't be out past curfew missy!" My mom says as I walk away and I smile.

"I won't!" I yell back before closing the door and entering the hallway, the guilt that had amassed in my stomach quickly turning to nerves.

The walk to the park takes exactly twenty minutes and by the time I get there, the cool night air has already kicked in, making me put on my beanie. The sun still hadn't set but its orange hues were slowly creeping into the sky.

Like some magnetic force compels me, my eyes scan over the park, stopping abruptly on Micah's figure seated on a park bench underneath a tree. The park is lit up well and I notice his gaze pull to mine, like he feels my stare and the moment our eyes meet a bright smile comes over his face-illuminating the setting even more.

He stands up and I notice one of his hands holding a large bouquet of flowers and the other reaching down to grab a picnic basket with a folded red blanket atop. I walk over to him and he meets me half way holding out the colourful bouquet of flowers which I tentatively take, bringing them to my nose to smell the heavenly scent.

"Hey," I say.

"Hey," he replies, clearly somewhat nervous. "I didn't know which type of flower you liked so I just had the florist put together this—I hope it's alright," he says and I smile.

"It's beautiful, thank you," I say and he smiles broadly, pleased with himself. I frown slightly. "I didn't bring you anything," I announce, feeling slightly bad.

"You're here," he says, "That's more than enough."

I don't really know how to react to the pure honesty, the seriousness in his words so I just give him a strange sort of smile instead. "You don't have any allergies do you?" He asks and I shake my head.