Chapter 3-Danger around the corner

"Jack, come on. Get out of here. Go! What are you doing? Go!" I heard Dash's muffled voice through the dust and I looked at him. He held Violet in his arms and both were covered in dust.

I looked over the bank floor and saw a part of the ceiling had fallen down, just a few meters away from us. How did the ceiling fall? I wondered and stood up.

I looked over the desk and saw mom helping the people that were kept hostage out of the back room. My dad held three men and was tying them up.

"Mom." I said and immediately made eye contact with mom.

"Jack, what are you doing?" Mom said and came over to me and hugged me. "I told you to wait outside." She said and looked me in the eyes. "I am so happy you are okay."

"Mom..." Dash spoke from behind us and mom looked at him with Violet in his arms. "She got shot."

****

An hour later we were all home, except Mom and Violet who went to the hospital. I did not say anything when we went inside and sat down on the couch with my head in my hands. 

Everything played again and again in my head, like a movie. Unrealistic. And dangerous. Gun shots, dust, screams. And Violet. Violet got shot. 

"Jack," Dad said as he sat down beside me, resting his hand on my shoulder. "Violet will be fine." 

"How do you know?" I said almost angrily. And I was angry. Angry at myself for going inside. Violet had been protecting me and now she could die. And it was all my fault. 

"Because she is strong." Dad said and lifted my head up and looked me in the eyes. "Just like you. And now you have to be strong for her, alright?" 

"Alright." I said and sniffed. "I'm sorry." 

"It's alright. You just have to promise me to never do this again." Dad said and hugged me tightly. 

"I promise." 

The next days were almost a blur for me. We visited Violet to the hospital. She had only gotten shot in her shoulder but she needed a surgery to remove the bullet and she had a concussion, but her recovery was going well. I still felt very ashamed but a hug from Violet soothed my feelings a bit. 

I kept practising to control my powers, and with the progress I was making, Dad said I could probably go to school after Christmas and that made me very excited. 

But between hospital visits and practises I stayed in my room and thought about the bank robbery. How did the ceiling fall? The building did not look fragile when we went in but half of the ceiling still collapsed. 

I really wished I could go back to the bank to see for myself but Mom and Dad would not allow it. I wanted to do more, be a hero like Mom and Dad. They had told me stories about all their missions and adventures and I wanted to do everything like them. But after what happened with Violet I didn't dare go against Mom and Dad again. 

But one Saturday in November Lucius and his wife Honey, Mom and Dad's best friends, came to visit over the weekend with their daughter Angelica. She was my age and my best friend and I was probably the one of few who could call her Gigi. 

We went outside to the forest beside our house where I had made a snow house the day before. Always when we met, Gigi would tell me everything she did at school and today was no exception. But I had one thing to talk about. 

"And then the ceiling fell." I finished my story from the bank robbery and moved my hand over the snow beside me so it melted using my fire powers. 

"Dad told me about this." Gigi said and moved her brown curly hair from her eyes. "It's good Violet is back from the hospital though." 

"Yeah." I said. "I just want to go to that bank so badly." 

Gigi smirked and stood up. "Let's go then." 

"Wait, what? No. Dad would be so mad." I explained and stood up but glanced towards the city. 

"He won't find out. We will go and come back in a jiffy." Gigi said and started walking down the path towards our house. 

"But how will we get there?" 

"The bus of course." Gigi said and laughed.