Chapter VIII: World Beyond (II)

"...ugh"

Rex groaned whislt opening his eyes. taking a few seconds to realize where he is, then immedietly sitting up "Hm..?!" His head darted aimlessly, looking around the sorroundings.

On a clear day, he awoke in the middle of a forest, massive trees reaching unnatural heights with thick leaves covering the ground from bright sunlight. Rising to his feet and finding his bearings, traversing forwards...

The forest, calming and silent as he looks around, with the sound of nature enveloping him. like birds chirping and the calm breeze hitting his face.

but his expression was only of survival, focusing on any imminent threat. his knowledge of the world expanded, yet it shrunk at the same time.

After walking for awhile he finds a path. though faint, he still chooses to follow. But the forest whispered secrets, its ancient trees echoing with a gentle sigh, and Strange creatures scurried in the underbrush, their eyes gleaming with curiosity. 

He stared towards them, even tilting his head in skepticism, and the creatures mirrored his curiousity.

Rex knelt down closer to them, slowly extending his hand, an attempt of interaction. But before he could, a loud roar echoed from afar, scaring away birds from the direction it came from.

He turned to caution, quickly drawing his weapons, and approached the source slowly. after getting seemingly closer, he sees a small clearing, Widening his eyes in surprise.

There, nestled among the towering trees, stood a quaint little cottage. It looked like something out of a fairy tale, with its colorful flowers adorning the front yard and smoke lazily curling out of the chimney.

But, A creaking tree branch from behind his back was heard, Turning around to find the source, His gaze locked onto a swiftly approaching arrow, its deadly trajectory aimed straight at his forehead.

Reacting swiftly, he deflected the arrow with his blades precisely. it whizzed past him, just barely missing its mark.

The realization dawned on him, he was not alone in this mysterious forest, the rustling and creaking sound spread around him, trying to divert Rex's attention as someone was hidden among them.

Before Rex could fully react, the figure lunged at him from the heights of the forest, a blur of motion hurtling towards his vulnerable form.

The impact was jarring, knocking the breath out of him, forcefully tackled to the ground.

Engaged in a gripping battle of strength, a relentless struggle against the stranger. 

With a mighty effort, he managed to overpower his adversary, breaking free from their grasp and throw the figure off of him, directly towards the cottage.

Coliding with it, The vibrant flowers trembled and the structure shook. Rex swiftly reclaimed his blades and took his fighting stance.

The figure who what looks to be a boy with lime-colored short hair and a sort of hunter's attire, slowly stood up once more, grabbing his bow.

Just as tension filled the air, the cottage door swung open with a mighty thud. An old lady emerged, her voice tinged with annoyance. "What's all this commotion?" she demanded. "G-Grandma..! Stay inside!, he's--"

Before the boy could warn her, he was cut off by the lady's interruption. "What are you babbling about, Kael? Do we have a 'visitor '?" Her eyes shifted toward Rex, waiting for an explanation.

Rex read the situation clearly, stopping his stance. Sheathing his blades on his back before looking back with a straight face.

Taking a deep breath and mustering all his limited linguistic abilities, he points to himself. "... visitor... no harm" managing to squeeze out, accompanied by a thumbs-up and a nod.

The old lady's eyes widened in surprise, her annoyance momentarily replaced by concern. She scrutinized Kael, "Did you cause trouble to this poor young man, Kael?" she asked, her tone softening.

His gaze lowered. "I... I thought he was a threat, Grandma...I didn't mean to cause any trouble."

Understanding washed over the old lady's face, letting out a deep sigh. "Oh, Kael, always were quick to conclusions." She turned her attention back to Rex,

"I must apologize for kael's hasty and rash actions, dear." She immediately followed, "Are you hurt?"

Rex shook his head, noticing the old lady's willingness to listen.

The tension began to ease as the three of them stood there, the forests' whispers creating a gentle background hum.

Kael, realizing his mistake, slowly lowered his bow and took a step back, his youthful features reflecting remorse. 

The old lady then extended a wrinkled hand towards Rex, and a genuine smile played on her face,

"I am Mrs. Everly, and this troublemaker is Kael. Welcome to our cottage. Please, come inside and we can sort things out with a cup of tea"

With nothing else in mind, Rex nodded. a sign he accepted the invitation. They all went inside with Rex being last, closing the front door behind him.