three.

Warnings: Strong language, violence, mentions of blood.

***

Derek.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Alex narrowed her eyes at Derek. 

Derek rolled his eyes. Of all the people to try and sneak up on him in the woods, and it had to be Scott McCall's sister. Derek didn't even know the girl existed. He'd only known her a matter of minutes, and he could already tell this girl was going to be trouble. He could also tell that she was a lot different from Scott. 

"You know exactly what I'm talking about." Derek said. "I could smell your scent from across the field."

"How do you know it was mine? There were at least two werewolves on that field." Alex said, attempting to pull her arm from Derek's grip. 

"Because I know their scents already. This scent didn't turn up until you did." Derek said. 

"Let go of me, or I'll scream." Alex glared at him. 

"No, you won't. Otherwise, you would have already." Derek said. "And because you know I'm right, and if you scream, Scott comes back, and you have to explain why this is happening." 

Alex sighed and looked down at the ground. She stopped struggling against him. But Derek didn't let his guard down. She wasn't the only one who didn't trust the other person right now. 

"Fine. You got me. Now what? Are you gonna go running to Scott and tell him?" Alex said. 

"No. It's none of my business." Derek said. "I don't have much interest in other people's family drama." 

"So what's the point of all this then?" Alex said, gesturing to his hand around her arm. 

"Don't you think he should know that his sister has been through the same stuff he has?" Derek raised a brow. "Why wouldn't you tell him?" 

"Like you said, it's none of your business." Alex rolled her eyes. "Now, will you let go? You're hurting me." 

Derek let go of her arm and took a step back from her. Alex rubbed her arm where his hand had gripped her. 

"Look." Alex sighed. "I'll be honest, I don't trust you. And I know you don't trust me either. But I'd appreciate it if you could keep this to yourself." 

Derek observed Alex. It was obvious that she had issues with trust. It didn't take werewolf senses to pick up on that. He also had a feeling she had more than just trust issues. He wondered why Scott had never mentioned her in the first place. He'd known Scott just over two years, and Derek knew absolutely nothing about Alex, including her existence. Why was she back in Beacon Hills now? Scott always tried to see the best in everyone. Was Alex hiding something other than just being a werewolf from her brother? Alex was right about one thing. He didn't trust her. It didn't matter to Derek that she was related to Scott. He was related to Peter, and Derek didn't trust him at all. But, he did trust Scott. So, reluctantly, he nodded his head. 

"Just answer me one question." Derek said. 

"Depends on the question." Alex shrugged. 

"Who bit you? And when?" Derek asked. 

"That's two questions." Alex said. 

"It's two parts to one question." Derek rolled his eyes. 

This time, Alex observed him. Eventually, she sighed and shook her head. 

"I was bitten three years ago." 

"By who?" 

"I don't know, I didn't see who it was." Alex shook her head. "Does it matter?"