8. The Metkayina Clan: Life at Awa'atlu Begins

Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

The Metkayina Clan: Life at Awa'atlu Begins

»»——⍟——««

Kiri carefully pressed her ear against the tent's fabric, straining to catch any snippets of their parents' conversation. Tuk, on the other hand, crouched down and peered through the gap under the tent, her curiosity piqued.

Kara had sat on the steps, her arms resting on her knees, and her chin cradled in her palms. With the help of her superhearing, her attention was laser-focused on the conversation between Jake and Neytiri inside the tent.

"What's going on?" Lo'ak's arrival drew the attention of Kara, Kiri, and Tuk, seeing Neteyam beside him. Kiri quickly motioned for them to stay quiet, signalling that something important was being discussed inside, and they didn't want to risk being discovered.

Watching how the siblings were huddled together, Kara couldn't help but feel a little left out. She sighed, not sure if she should move. Annoyed at her own indecisiveness, Kara recently stood up took a few steps closer to her friends and planted herself in the middle in silence.

Catching the three Na'vi's eyes, they smile at each other. Ever since Kara awoke from her near-death coma, she had become hyper-alert and had difficulty sleeping, was constantly on edge and had experienced nightmares. Her anger had only intensified, then been replaced with intense sadness or guilt.

It was evident that Kara's struggle with the memories of the clone and her emotional breakdown just after waking from her sun exposure therapy weighed heavily on their hearts. They knew she had been haunted by the experience, and it was clear that her wounds, both physical and emotional, still ran deep, even if she hid them behind a smile.

What was more worrying was that the symptoms they were witnessing were the same as when she first landed. After all, seeing your planet explode was extremely traumatising, especially for a girl her age. Then she was trapped in a void of silence, left with her own thoughts that quickly became so loud, that she started resenting it, and now fighting an evil clone of your dead cousin and almost dying at the hands of it.

"I cannot leave my people." She states, walking to the right to pick up a red bag before stepping back and crouching. She opens the bag and places something inside.

"He's hunting us." Jake stood near the entrance of their tent, trying to help his wife see the reason. "He's targeting our family."

Neytiri spins around. "You cannot ask this!" her entire being conflicted by the impossible choice that lay before them. "The children. Everything they've ever known. The forest. This is our home!"

She then rose to her feet. "And what about Kara?!" She reiterated, her voice unwavering. "She lost her home, and just recently she began accepting this place her own. You cannot ask her to leave again!"