chapter 9 :7

When we finally arrive at the ramen restaurant, everything happens in a click. We all order, everyone begins talking at once, time feels like nothing by the time the food arrives, and the whole experience puts a smile on my face. Listening to my new friends chaotically yelling and laughing about random topics that change every two seconds while shamelessly slurping down their ramen, I begin to think about how weird yet endearing their dynamic is. They're like a big happy family, and let's just say I feel lucky to be able to watch it all.

So many things are happening at the same time. Jisung and Changbin are rapping random songs way too fast for my brain to process, as if there's an MP3 player lodged inside their throats except they set the speed to 200%. Jeongin is doing aegyo and Felix is making barfing expressions. Hyunjin is talking about his day to everyone except he's acting like he is in a Shakespearean tragedy, complete with fake faints and very extra hand expressions.

And Minho is just...sitting there, watching it all happen with that indecipherable expression of his. He is so silent, yet it feels like he belongs. It's like he's engaging just as much as his friends, but by listening to them as they talk and laugh. Sometimes he giggles along or adds additional comments when something particularly funny is said.

Soon, I find myself captivated by him. Not just by his perfect face, but also by his calmness, and this mysterious side of him.

Questions begin to flood my mind. What's going on? Am I supposed to hate him for being a jerk or love him for literally saving me?

And what about me? Does he still hate me? What exactly are we? Strangers, or friends?

Why is it that after all this time, I still want to be friends with him so badly...

I'm snapped out of my trance when I suddenly realize that Minho's staring at me. It doesn't take me long to also realize that he's staring at me because I've been staring at him for who knows how long. I quickly look away, embarrassed. A few moments pass before I allow myself to sneak a glance at him again, and... he's still staring at me.

"Why aren't you saying anything?" he asks out of the blue.

"huh?"

"You've just been silent."

"You have too?" I argue, more like a question than a statement.

Minho says nothing but just waits, like that's not the response he wanted to hear from me.

"...it's okay." I say instead, smiling, "I like listening to you guys."

Minho smiles back, and leans in closer.

"But I like listening to you."

Both the statement and the action accompanying it take me completely aback, and I have to contain my gasp that nearly escapes.

"Of course you do. I'm the coolest, prettiest, funniest girl in our grade." I joke, trying to play it off coolly.

"You are." he agrees.

Well that backfired.

Minho smiles again. "You know what I just realized? I actually know nothing about you. You know about me since I told you so much yesterday, but you weren't able to tell me anything so," he said, resting his head on the palm of his hand leaning on the table, "Tell me about yourself."

I swallow, nervous for no reason. It feels like just yesterday when I tried to introduce myself to Minho, only to have him push me aside and walk away.

I should have stopped thinking about it. I should have kept hating Minho. Then, everything would be easier and my thoughts wouldn't be so convoluted. But after everything that's happened, I don't think I can do that anymore. And a part of me still really wants to be friends with this mysterious boy.