Three

𓋇JON'S POV 𓋇

Beep. Beep. Beep.

The first thing I experienced after waking up was a familiar...yet unexpected noise. The second thing I experienced was a wave of pain hitting me right in the forehead. I groaned in pain, trying to sit up in my white bed. I blinked my eyes open, my vision taking a moment to steady itself. I looked around in confusion, dazed and aching all over. I noticed all the wires I was attached to, as well as the steady beeping of a heart monitor in the background. It dawned on my that I was in the hospital, though for a moment I didn't know why. My brain was fuzzy. Everything was a blur.

"Oh, you're awake."

I jumped at the unfamiliar voice, turning my head to look at its source. A tall, lanky man with dark hair stood in the doorway, one of his hands propping the door up as if he had just walked in. He steadily approached my bed, sitting down in a chair beside it. All I could do was watch in confusion.

"I'm...I'm sorry, do I know you?" I asked.

The man shook his head.

"No I uh...I don't think you do," he responded, "I found your car upside down in a ditch on the side of the road. I managed to get you out and brought you here."

My brows furrowed as I took in this information. It was all beginning to come back to me: the tornado, losing control over my car. I looked at the man, a sense of gratitude washing over me.

"So you...you saved my life," I noted breathlessly. Suddenly, I felt panic strike my heart. I looked to the kind stranger desperately. "But my pets!! Where's my cat and dog!?"

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, bracing myself for whatever news he had to share with me.

"I took them to the vet," he explained, "they both needed surgery, but the vet says they'll be fine."

I heaved a massive sigh of relief, letting the tension leave my muscles. I brought my hand up to rub my forehead, only to feel the cold metal bits grafted into my skin. Stitches. I looked back to the man who saved my life, not knowing what to say. Rather embarrassingly, I felt like tearing up.

"Thank you...thank you so much for saving me and my pets," I said, "how can I ever repay you?"

The man simply gave an awkward chuckle, bringing his hand up to rub the back of his neck. He gave me a dismissive wave of his hand.

"Eh, don't worry about it. It's- it's not a big deal."

"Well still...thankyou."

I lied back in my bed, trying to ignore the pounding headache. There was silence between me and the stranger for a while, filled only by the noises of hospital machinery. I hummed, sparing a glance towards the tall man sitting at my bed side. I figured that he shouldn't be just a stranger...after all, he did save my life.

"What's your name?"

The man looked up abruptly with a 'hm?', as if surprised that I had asked him. He cleared his throat.

"Once," he answered simply, "what's yours?"

I raised my eyebrows. Once was certainly a peculiar name...one that I had never heard of before. But oh well. It didn't matter. Perhaps it was a family name? Or had some deeper meaning? Whatever the reason for the name, though, it wasn't my place to judge.