ch.1

Once upon a time, that's how all fairy tales start, then they end with a true love’s kiss. That's so unrealistic. There won’t be a man coming to save the damsel in distress. There won’t be a witch,dragon, or evil queen that needs defeating, and to be honest I don't know which is worse. Knowing true love doesn't exist, or the suffering that you go through just to get a man.

“Oh goddess of the lake, please grant my wish. Let my father recover from what ails him, I beg of you” the voice of a young man pleads.

Soon the smell of blood fills the water, and hours pass before it goes away. Why would he spill so much blood, I don't need much. Is his father that important to him? 

Curiosity fills my mind and I decide that I'll grant the wish.I slowly climb my way out of the lake as the algae covered sand pulls me under its cold embrace. 

Finally when I break free of its grasp and come out of the water, I can't help but want to breathe the air. 

As I go to take a breath, sand and water comes out of my mouth. Pain hits my body like a crashing wave. What feels like another hour passes before I stop throwing up the sand and water. It's been so long since I last threw up like that, I usually lay awake looking up into the water but I guess I fell asleep this time.

I looked around and saw I had also thrown up small sharp rocks. I try to speak but it hurts. My voice is there but barely. I sigh and stand up, my wet sleeping gown heavy on my body despite the thinness of it. Looking around some more I find a note, it has the directions to a house as well as the wish from earlyer on it.

I follow where the directions take me. It's night time but the moon shines enough so you can see but not enough to wake you from your slumber. I love it so much!!

Once I arrive I use the note to find the room the father sleeps in. I only get to open the door half way before my nose fills with the stench of human waste. I'm almost knocked off my feet the second I smelt it. I recover my balance and continue to walk in. The room is simple with only a bed and wardrobe. A young man sits in a chair asleep next to the man on the bed. The older man is sweating, all skin and bone. As I get closer the smell intensifies. I stop but tell myself to get a grip and set my hand on the man's chest right above his soul. 

Information about the man comes out of his chest as I lift my hand. He's 32 and only has 4 hours 2 minutes and 54 seconds left. He's dying of diabetes. The one in the chair doesn't seem to be asleep any more, yet he stays quiet. 

“I will help you” I say but my voice is airy and sore 

I look the boy up and down before I see a knife in a leather sheath around his neck. I take the knife and cut my finger. I watch as my blood seeps out of my finger, and right before it drips onto the bed I place it on the man's lips. 

Almost instantly the man's skin pinkens and his face lightens.I take another look at his information as it changes. He now has 22 years left and he’ll die a peaceful death. I look at the man asleep in his bed.

“Your son sacrificed his blood to heal you,and now he will carry a scar for the rest of his life. Respect his decision by continuing to be the best father you can be.” I say before I start coughing. 

I cover my mouth only to catch blood. I don't think I should speak for a while. I look at the young man and see him staring at me. 

“Lake goddess” he whispers 

I tilt my head with a small smile.

“Umm are you ok” he asks in a whisper

I nod.

He nods “I should show you out” he says standing up.

I hold up my hand in a stopping motion and point to his father.

“Thank you, for healing my father. We will pray to you every day, I swear” he says with tears in his eyes. 

I nod and give a farewell smile and leave the room with him inside.

I walk out of the house and follow the same path to the lake. I stand at the edge looking at the moon's reflection before looking up at a small cliff. I then start to take another path, one I have walked so many times over the two years of being here. I now stand above the river looking down at my and the moon's reflection. Before I know what's happening I'm falling and my mind is clear. There's nothing there. No worries, no past or future, and no pain in my chest. Nothing, and that's what matters, nothing. Suddenly I crash into the water and the demons of my mind come back, gripping onto me so they can plant their seeds of doubt.

The first question to plague my mind: 

Why can’t I just die?