The Club

"Welcome to Moreau's Coffee and Bakery. What would you like to order?" I speak through the device connected to my ear.

"I want a baguette and a cappuccino." A woman's voice says in response.

Selecting the command on the smart computer in front of me, I answer. "Anything else?"

"No, not at all."

"Ok, that's £6.25"

"Thank you."

The car appears to the side of my window, and the woman gives me her debit card to pay.

I treat her kindly and dismiss her. I sigh, no more cars in the drive thru, I'm exhausted. Although I prefer this shift than working inside the coffee shop.

I fix my hat that has the Moreau's brand mark. It's still an hour before my shift is over but I feel like throwing myself out the window already.

The sensor tells me that there is a new car in the Drive thru and I curse myself.

"Welcome to Moreau's Coffee and Bakery. What would you like to order?"

I hear a female giggle and then someone clearing their throat. "I'd like to ask for a Marinette to go."

I smile like a fool. "Go to the next window, ma'am."

In a matter of seconds, Alya is by my window, her hair perfect as always, looking all fashion with her nice sunglasses. "I can't believe you're spending the remaining summer here."

"I need the money and you know it, what are you doing here?"

"I came to kidnap you."

"There's still and hour before I can leave."

Alya smiles widely. "What part of kidnapping do you not understand? The part of that of being unwilling?"

"Alya, I can't."

"Yes, you can."

I open my mouth to protest when I feel someone behind me, I turn to see Noel, my co-worker. His red hair escapes from his cap. His eyes fixated on Alya.

My attention turns to my best friend. "What is happening?"

"Noel will cover the rest of your shift for you."

I narrow my eyes. "Why would he do that?"

Alya shrugs. "We do things for our friends, right Noel?"

He stares at her.

Alya's gaze falls back on me. "Now, look for your things and I'll wait for you in the parking lot. We have to go now."

And she's out of my sight.

A few minutes later with my little backpack, I jump inside Alya's car. "I can't believe it."

"I'm super cool, I know."

"Noel? Really? I thought you didn't like red heads."

"He made me change my mind."

I sigh, I don't even know why I bother. "What did you do?"

"I promised to go on a date with him."

"You can't go through life using your . . . hotness to get away with everything."

"Of course, I can."

I fold my arms across my chest. "Where are we going?"

"To Insomnia." My eyes widen. Insomnia is the most popular club right now, and it's also Alya's favorite place on Friday nights. I've never been there.