Chapter Thirteen: Breakouts

Lexi POV

I trembled as I stared back at the two people I thought I would never see again, my parents. Nothing about them changed one bit. My mum’s hair was still a dark red and pulled back out of her face into a ponytail with her side fringe swept to the left side of her face. Her clothes looked newer and telling by the size of the ring on her finger, they found a way to get more money. My dad’s dark brown hair was cut short like it’s usual style and his eyes were a piercing green. His jaw was now covered in more than stubble from the last time I had saw him, a full beard in its wake. His clothes were similar to my mum’s, clean and crisp. I backed farther on my bed.

“H-how did you find me?”

My mother’s smile left her face, a mothering look now present but I wasn’t buying that look one bit. “Well sweetie, you’re all over the news now. It’s kind of hard to not know your every move.”

“Jen, let me handle this,” my father said sticking his hand out in front of my mother who was advancing closer to me. “What did you get yourself into? How did you end up in a place like this?”

My fear was replaced with anger. “Well when your drug-headed parents throw you out on your arse, you tend to become a little crazy and mental. I was a fucking whore! I got picked up off of the streets and was put in a whore house because I thought that that would give me the money I needed for my ears!”

My mother winced at the words of her only daughter becoming a whore. Tears soon filled her eyes but I wasn’t about to go running back to her arms just yet. My father didn’t seem to be buying any of the words I was saying.

“No, you got put in here because you’re mental. You’ve always been mental.”

“Jason!”

“No, Jen. Nina has always been mental and finally she’s gotten the help that she needed.”

I stood up off of the bed now, pointing my finger in my father’s face that was inches away from mine. “I’m not the one that’s mental. I’m not the one that threw their child out because she couldn’t hear correctly. I’m not the one who taught my son that he never had a sister in the first place. I’m not the one to abuse drugs. I’m not the worst parent on this planet. At least I’m getting the help I need because of my so called parents didn’t’ give a shit about me.”

“Nina, I know you’re mad but please hear us-“

“No, I’m not hearing you out. Who let you in here anyways? Why are you here? Just to shove it in my face that I’m weak? Well I’m not weak. I’m getting better so I can take care of my little girl.”

My mum’s eyes widened in shock. “Y-you have a daughter?” I nodded my head. “Nina…”

“Now if you would please get the fuck out and never come back,” I said as I opened my door and gestured with my hand. My father was the first one to leave the room without looking back. My mum stood there with a hurt expression on her face while she held her hands to her chest.

“Nina, I’m so sorry. I’m no longer on drugs, I swear to you. I came here because I wanted to see you, I wanted to apologize to you for letting your father do those hurtful things. If I could undo them I swear to you I would. I wish I could escape him but i… I can’t. He won’t let me.”

“Jen!”

She rushed over to me and placed a piece of paper in my hand. “Please call me once you get out of here. I want to make it up to you in hopes that you’ll someday forgive me.” She looked back to the door. “I’m sorry but I have to go.” She leaned over and kissed me on top of my head, exposing her neck to me. I saw handprints around her neck clearly showing that someone had harmed her, dad.