How it all began

It was early March and the weather was beginning to warm up and the leaves were finally beginning to get their color back. It was definitely a nice change of pace from the late cold snap that Texas decided to throw our way. When the entire state shuts down because we cannot handle ice, it is no fun for anyone. 

Just like every other day, I woke up with one thing on my mind. Coffee. It was a necessity given that I was quickly becoming a person that could easily sleep until ten in the morning without any hesitation or regret. Knowing that I needed to get moving or I would be late to the office, I pushed off my tan plush comforter and stretched, my bones popping in protest. My dog Sadie, a boston terrier mix decided that was a good idea and she decided that she was going to follow suit. However, her stretches never fail to bring out the best in her. As usual, mid stretch she lets one rip. The stench of her putrid gas left me gagging. It was our perfect usual morning routine, one that I wouldn't change for the world. 

"Thanks dog, good morning to you to." I choked out, wafting the smell from me and giving her the side eye.

Of course, she could care less that she just left a gas bomb in my room, and she got up and padded over to the bedroom door indicating that she needed to be let outside. According to her grunts, she was not pleased at how slow I was rolling out of bed, so she then decided that barking at me would make me move faster. 

"I get it, I get it." I told her, standing up and grabbing my soft pink robe off of my bathroom door and putting it on. I opened the door and proceeded to walk through my small narrow hallway.

Once I let her outside, I made my way to the tiny kitchen. My house wasn't anything to look at. It was a modest one story home that barely made 1300 square feet. It was perfect for me though, it was just me and Sadie in the house, so I didn't need anything more than that. However, I was very fortunate though to have some acreage. In total, I had about ten acres that my grandparents left to me after they passed away. It was perfect. The property line was fenced in by faded white wood that gave the field character. It was also my only line of defense against my diva mares Bailey, Daisy, Spirit, and Ruby. I have always been an animal lover, and I grew up with horses, so I decided that I would keep that tradition going. 

Inside the kitchen, I began gathering the ingredients to make a fresh pot of coffee. As the coffee was brewing and flooded the house with its sweet aroma, I decided to make a piece of toast and get Sadie her breakfast as well. She is the queen of the house, if she doesn't have her food in her bowl waiting for her she will tell you and leave you a bad review. Once all that was done, I drank my coffee and contemplated on how I wanted to go about teaching Luke today. He is one of my tutoring kids and he is a handful. If he is not learning through some sort of game, he refuses to do anything except pout. I am so consumed by my thoughts of different games to try, my phone buzzes which causes me to jump and nearly fall off of my sky blue bar stool. Rolling my eyes at myself, I unlock my iPhone and read the message that my friend Cassie sent me. "Girl, guess what! I am taking you to a Dallas Stars game tonight. And this time you can't back out because I already bought the ticket!" 

You've got to be kidding me. Hockey? Cassie knows that I am not interested in sports, and have zero desire to go to a game. Unfortunately for me, Cassie is a huge Stars fan and is currently one of the major sale reps for that team is totally into her. So, she is constantly getting all the latest Stars merch and and she even gets to occasionally attend meet and greets with the team. I will admit, I have always wondered what it would be like to meet famous people. Not that I would ever do it, I would be too nervous. I am not what you would call the celebrity type. Cassie is absolutely stunning. She is 5'6, has long jet black hair, hazel eyes, and her make up is always beyond stellar. I on the hand, am 5'3 long brown hair, blue eyes, and I hardly ever wear makeup. In fact, I barely even know how to put it on. Like I said, I am not the go and meet celebrities type. Hell, I am not the type to get dolled up for anyone. What's the point?