𝐃𝐚𝐦𝐬𝐞𝐥 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬

Pies. Cream pies everywhere.

We've finished with the cakes and now we're onto the pies. Apparently, we need every kind of pastry at the wedding reception. Too bad there will be no wedding, unbeknownst to everyone else

"Heaven," Elizabeth moaned as she took a small piece of cherry meringue pie into her mouth, the said piece so small I doubt she actually tasted anything.

In comparison, Cyan to my right was stuffing her face.

"Scarlett?" Benson spoke up, "What do you think?"

I pushed the plate of strawberry-rhubarb pie, "This one for me," though only because strawberry's my favorite.

"Good choice," he muttered as he typed a note on his iPad.

I had to taste seven more pie flavors before he clapped his hands and announced, "Bring in the cupcakes."

Maids took the plates away despite Cyan's protest, mid-bite. Quickly, the display before is turned from pie to cupcakes.

"We have thirty-six flavors for cupcakes," said Benny, pushing his thick purple glasses up his nonexistent nose bridge, "And five designs for the cupcake display."

Benson, Elizabeth, and her bridesmaids went through the display designs on his touchscreen. Cyan, as if she had not eaten heavy brunch only two hours prior, was back to filling the void in her tummy.

I stared in amazement at the cupcakes before me. So many choices, so many flavors, yet I was incredibly full. Aside from starting to get sick from all the sweets, my head was still throbbing even though I've downed three Advils within the morning.

I couldn't go back to sleep after seeing Janeel. My mind was too busy thinking. About him, about my dad, about Elizabeth. I was dying of curiosity. What's his mission, exactly? And can I help him with whatever it is he needs to do so that in return he can help me too? We didn't exactly exchange the best goodnights and I didn't see him at breakfast.

I tried to taste at least five before I excused myself. I picked the nicest looking cupcake left. It was piña colada and coconut rum with pineapple frosting. It even had a cute candy boat on top. No one really paid mind to me slipping away.

Excluding the dessert tasting activity in the dining hall, the rest of the mansion was very quiet. This was because the men in the house decided to go on a hiking-hunting trip on the other side of the island. They haven't left yet, but I'm sure they're busy preparing. I'm sure he's in his room preparing.

I stopped in front of Janeel's room, decided not to knock, and entered.

I closed the door behind me and faced him. Janeel looked surprised. Aside that, Janeel looked as good as the cupcake I brought.

He was getting ready, all right, with his lower half in utility pants and his upper in a tight dri-fit long-sleeve shirt that hugged his muscles in phenomenal ways.

"Can I help you?" he wondered, one eyebrow up. He eyed the cupcake. I held it in between us.

"My peace offering and alliance gift," I announced, "It's piña colada and coconut rum. Tasty."

"Appreciate it, but no thanks," he took the plate and put it down on the coffee table, "And also, I have to go."

"Wait, I wanna talk," I blocked his path, "Tell me everything. Work with me."

He pursed his lips, glanced at the cupcake, then spoke, "I'm only allowing one question at a time."

"Okay," I sighed, "Why are you really here?"