I've died 3 times and it's not even lunch time yet.

Metaphorically, of course... "Lucy, your test paper" My teacher says snapping me out of my blissful daze. You can always count on Ms. Blake to ruin your day. I reach out to grab the paper and almost instinctively turn around to the desk behind me, 

"How much did you get?" I whisper. "Ninety five you?", she whispers back. 

 "Ninety "I answer, faking a sad face of disappointment. Zari laughs and I turn away before the teacher can catch us. Zari's been my best friend since we were younger. She helped me get through my mother's death and now, she's helping me get through History class. 

"Okay class you'll have to write a report on ancient writing so I advise you use your weekend to research, Class dismissed", I grab my bag and prepare to sprint out of class and into the hallways. 

" Lucy stay back a little" Ms. Blake says with a thin lipped smile. I curse under my breath but return nonetheless. 

" Yes Ms. Blake" I chirp trying to sound enthusiastic. She leans forwards towards me and I do the same. 

"Lucy, I know what you're capable of and lately you haven't been doing as well as you used to. I mean you were the top student, what happened?

" When your mother dies and your father starts dating someone new your grades tend to fall back, but for the sake of my fathers reputation I suppress the words. 

"Nothing happened, schools just been stressful that's all" I lie. 

"Oh is that so, well then please try your level best to do better next time" She says with a smile, the type of smile that convinces you to do things you don't want to. I give a short nod and finally speed walk away avoiding any more teachers.

"Hey what was that all about?", Zari asks, catching up with me. I slow down to match her pace "Just Ms. Blake being Ms. Blake", I blurt out. " She's such a bummer, anyways I gotta go Tyler wants us to eat lunch together" She beams. 

"Oooh you know where to find me", I tease. Zari's been dating Tyler for months now, I don't approve of him but she insists that their star crossed lovers, and that their love is meant to be. I smile as she walks away. Great, she ditched me...again.

I make my way to the library carefully avoiding the headmistress's office. She's been keen on having a memoir for my mom, our star alumni and her best friend, and who would do a better job than me. Except i don't know her very well. Or at all really, she was a journalist so she travelled a lot and died before I got to connect with her. Sometimes I feel guilty about it, But is it really my fault?

"Lucy, I need to talk to you", a voice all too familiar calls out. Dammit, today's my lucky day huh? I turn around and shuffle into her office. 

" Good afternoon Lucy, How's the memoir going" she says, gesturing to me to take a seat across her. 

I stare back at the woman, she's graceful and elegant, the way her white silk shirt hugs her body and her pearls, the way she talks. How do I tell her I haven't even started? 

"Ummm, good it's going great", I lie, There's no way I 'm telling her I haven't even started, and that I feel guilty for not knowing my mom enough. 

"Perfect, I have something that may help you" She hands me a notebook with my mothers name on it. 

"Her...diary?" I ask hesitantly and She nods, "You're mother made seven of these, four of them are hidden in this school, as for the rest, I don't know."