#11 - A Crack in the Wall

Sorry for going MIA on this story and y'all! Too much of dramatic twists & turns in real life too, you know, and we don't even get a background music! *sigh*

Synopsis of previous part(s) -
After the court's decision, Akshara promised Manjiri of staying at Birla House. Manjiri did a grand welcome while the Birla kids celebrated her homecoming with all the happiness bundled together. When Manjiri hinted on Abhimanyu and Akshara sharing a room, Abhimanyu noticed Akshara's hesitation and immediately backed out, declaring that he would shift to another room, while Akshara can stay in the old room she was once habitual to. Much to Akshara's notice, he blurted that he could hardly ever find sleep in that room.

--------------------------------------

#11 - A Crack in the Wall

Akshara stepped inside the room and looked around. The last time she had come, her brother and her bade papa had almost lost their dignity. She had learnt it the hard way, but never again would she let her heart overpower her right mind.

Akshara watched as Abhi slowly walked in to the room after her. Abhi did not speak a word. Picking up his pillow, blanket, a mini recorder from the bedside, Akshara stood watching Abhimanyu walk out of the room with nothing but a smile on his face.

"Abhi?"

Abhi stopped in his tracks and turned around with an even wider smile.

"Manyu..." Akshara blinked, "I... I mean, tum yahan ruk jao Abhimanyu, main guest-"

"Maine kaha na, mujhe wahan neend nahi aati. Tum raho na raho, main phir bhi wahan nahi rahunga." Abhi glanced at the empty room behind Akshara and sighed, "I hope tum isey apna bana lo. Yeh khali deewarein... kisi ka toh kamra bane."

Akshara stood rooted at her place, watching his retreating figure disappear in the passage. She looked around, trying to grasp the depth of his words.

'Yeh khali deewarein... kisi ka toh kamra bane.'

Indeed, the empty walls that once held their togetherness in frames pinched her heart. The empty bedside table that once shone their name in red, everything had changed. The larger-than-life music system that sat gloriously in a corner of his room once upon a time, was now replaced by the little music recorder that Abhi took with him. The room looked more like a wanderer's memories left behind. Akshara went and touched every corner of their room that witnessed their love, and realised why Abhi couldn't sleep in this room.

It wasn't because Abhimanyu had to live without Akshara, it was because he could find Akshara in every inch of the room – sometimes in the fragrance, sometimes in the random piece of dupatta stuck in the bottom drawer, sometimes in the bindi stuck on his mirror and every time, in his dreams.

Akshara stared at her reflection in the mirror. There was once a girl with twinkle in her eyes, who loved her man staring at her reflection in the glass while she dressed up for him. Gulping a lump down her throat, Akshara caressed the empty desk. She opened a drawer and a tear escaped her eye.

Pyaar mil jaye piya ka, pyaar mil jaaye...

"Sir Sir!"

"Pandit ji!"

"Achha sorry... Pandit ji, aapne khana nahi khaya? Aap mantra kyun kha rahe hain?"

Akshara chuckled at the memories.

"Aaram se, properly, poore uchhaaran ke saath dheere-dheere, poore dil se kariye... Ekdum tikau shaadi karwaiye, jo janmo janmo tak chale."