"i got you brother"

"Why did u put me up to this?! Are you out of your mind!!" Steve exclaimed to his best friend Dustin.

They were standing backstage in the school's theater, listening to Jason silly acting.

Steve never doubted dustin. But this was too much.

The truth is Dustin and Steve's close, unwavering friendship is known by everyone in the small town, and though the two have gone through rough patches dew to the upside down in the time they've been friends, they always come through it in the end with their bond even stronger than ever.

"It's not stupid! Plus, you don't even have to be good!" Dustin said, not even looking at his best friend.

"You're not the one getting humiliated in front of the entire school!" Steve snarled.

Jane/el was making rounds, checking that everything was safe, for now. Erica was next max. Her adopted dad hopper and joyce took the front row.

There sat the judges, and they were the

principal and the vice principal

"Jason! Get off now!" The principal shouted, and everyone in the theater burst out laughing, which shook Steve out of his daze.

He swallowed hard, rubbing his hands together nervously, as he watched jason return defeated. He was ready to run away. It was his turn next, and he was far from ready. Before he could even make a plan, a whistle startled him.

"NEXT" was that was heard from the 'judges'

"If this goes wrong, dustin, I swear you're a dead man tomorrow!". He snarled at his best friend.

Steve swallowed hard and slowly walked out on stage, as if he was walking to his death.

"Harrington? is this a joke? " The vice president mumbled. Some old classmates were surprised, only hopper, and Joyce showed him a supportive smile. He inhaled deeply with wide eyes.

Jason grinned."Come on, Loser steve!" which caused a laughter to erupt in the theater. Dustin max jane/el and even Mike shot the entitled jock a death glare.

Steve grumbled and took a guitar in his hand. He looked around. He saw Mike at the door with Lucas. Eddie was mixed in with students.

Before he started to string the guitar, it was death silent. You could hear a pin drop.

Steve could feel his heart pounding. He could feel the world closing down on him and the breath leaving his lungs. He glanced down at hopper, and he was smiling at him and nodding.

Steve finds his confidence back and begins to sing.

When we were young, we were the ones

The kings and queens, oh yeah, we ruled the world

We smoked cigarettes, man, no regrets

Wish I could relive every single word

Everyone was silent, listening to Steve sing. Everyone was shocked. Dustin, who was standing backstage, for as long as He had known Steve, which was a long time, and he never knew his best friend could sing like that.