Book 5 | Ch. 1 - The Way Ahead

The next day passed quickly for all of us, although I still struggled with sleep, as usual. Before going to bed, I vividly remember Cloudy getting an earful of yelling. I feel a twinge of guilt for sending him into that fiery pit of anger, but it can't be helped. I left my room as energized as possible and meticulously packed my belongings, making sure not to miss a single detail. I packed medical supplies, an abundance of rations, and, most importantly, trinkets and lures to ward off intruders in case we encountered danger during the night.

I learned my lesson the hard way when venturing into the treacherous hollowed lands. Always, and I mean ALWAYS, bring more supplies than you think you'll need when going on an adventure, especially when you're unsure of the duration of your journey. Another crucial piece of information I discovered is to bring cleaning products. Smelling like manure is never pleasant. I went to inspect my weapon and found it worn-out and chipped at the top. It was definitely time to acquire a new blade.

"Honestly... I'm amazed that my old friend is still usable after everything we went through in the hollowed lands. Just hold on a little longer. I'll retire you once I acquire another weapon," I whispered to myself, sheathing the blade and securing it at my side.

I moved on to the next item on my checklist—the armor I would be wearing. To my dismay, my armor set appeared to be in perfect condition, almost untouched. There were a few minor scratches, but nothing more. What kind of armor did that man give us for it to be so highly resistant? This will be another topic to add to my growing list of research. I quickly donned the armor, activating the button near my chest to make it translucent and nearly invisible unless light was directly focused on it.

"*Phew*.. Everything is almost set and stone." I muttered to myself.

"What is? You asshole!"  A rude voice exclaimed from upstairs.

Oh boy. I had hoped to leave before he woke up, but now I'm about to be subjected to a lecture that will make my ears bleed.

Nick trudged downstairs, his hair sticking out in all the wrong directions, still half-asleep and displaying an arrogant demeanor.

He clearly had been awakened by the clattering and jingling of my armor.

"You were actually planning to leave me behind, weren't you?" Nick's accusation pierced through my feeble denial.

I sighed, realizing that Cloudy had spilled the beans and shared our conversation with Nick.

"Fine, yes, I was considering it," I admitted reluctantly, my facade crumbling.

"Bring me with you," Nick demanded, determination shining in his eyes.

I hesitated, knowing that Cloudy had likely already informed Nick of our destination.

"But where would you go? Cloudy must have told you where we're heading," I questioned, hoping to dissuade him.

"I'll figure it out. Just let me come with you, or I'll pester you relentlessly until you give in," Nick insisted, his determination unwavering.

Exhausted by the argument, I relented, uttering the words I had hoped to avoid.

"Do what you want."

Nick's face lit up with triumph, and he rushed off to gather his belongings, eager to join our journey.

Meanwhile, I made my way upstairs to Cloudy's room, curious about his tardiness. Opening the door, I was greeted by a chaotic mess—papers, utensils, blankets, and pillows strewn everywhere. Cloudy lay on the bed, disheveled and unkempt, a stark contrast to his usual organized self.

"Wake up, sleeping beauty!" I playfully called out, startling him awake.

"Huh? What's going on?" Cloudy mumbled groggily, looking as if he hadn't slept at all.