CHAPTER XXX - AND THEN SHAWARMA AFTER?

April 2012. 15:12. Manhattan, New York City. NY.

Sophia's POV

We looked around us to the creatures and aliens that seemed to multiply by the second. Every corner of almost every building was filled with these outsiders and for a moment it seemed like we were fighting a losing battle.

A part of me knew that this was too much even for us, the group of remarkable people who were supposed to fight against all evil that threatens our world. It was too much even for us because despite having a Hulk, the God of Thunder, three master assassins, a man in a suit of armour and a super soldier from the 1940's, this was beyond what any of us were trained for, what any of us had prepared for, what any of us had envisioned ourselves fighting against.

Am I afraid? I'd be lying if I said no. I am.

I've faced too many things in my life, bad people, bad people who could make anyone's blood turn cold, people who send shivers down your spine just by looking at them, bad people who might actually kill you just with the snap of their fingers.

None of them have ever scared me. I was trained to fight them, to end them.

But this? This was a whole different level. This is something I never imagined or even dreamed of fighting.

I don't only fear for me, because I don't fear for me. I fear for all the people in New York who are losing their lives, the lives of loved ones, I fear for everyone who is running away right now to protect their kids, their husbands, wives, their families. I fear for the 8 million people in here who are losing their homes, their jobs, their families.

I fear for my own family. The group of six people who are standing beside me today.

I don't want to die, at least not yet. But if I have to in order to protect what is the most precious treasure in my life, then I will. Gladly.

I turned to look at the sky and the moment I did, the leviathans, the large creatures with sharp teeth, started to come out. More than before.

-Uh, guys...- I called and everyone turned to look at the sky.

-Call it, Captain.- Tony said as we all waited for Steve to say the order.

Steve walked a few steps ahead and without taking his eyes away, he started talking.

-All right, listen up. Until we can close that portal, our priority is containment.- Steve said and we nodded in unison. -Barton, I want you on that roof.- Steve pointed Clint to the building. -Eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays.- Clint nodded and Steve continued. -Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash.- Steve said, pointing at my brother.

Tony nodded and with his mask on, he turned to look at me. I gave him a small smile and a nod, telling him I was going to be fine if he left. He knew it.

-Wanna give me a lift?.- Clint asked, turning to Tony.

-Right. Better clench up, Legolas.- Tony said as he stepped behind Clint, grabbing him and then flying away. A small smile graced my lips once again at Tony's nickname for Clint.

Ah, he never ceases to amaze me.

-Thor, you got to try and bottleneck that portal. Slow them down. You got the lighting. Light the bastards up.- Steve said and Thor nodded, swirling his hammer and flying into the skies.

Steve turned to look at me and Natasha as we were the only ones left along with the Hulk. -You and me, we stay here on the ground. We keep the fighting here.- He said and Natasha and I nodded.