chapter two

all rights reserved. copyright © 2014 | ItsBriarRose

"How did you get a car?" Nina's voice was a symphony that Kieran wanted to play all day long. She didn't have a deep or high voice; rather it had a little scratch to it.

"Um from a car shop." Kieran silently cursed himself for the lame excuse of a reply. If he was much better with girls and was more like Justin, Kieran could reply to Nina's question so much better.

But, he was rewarded with a laugh that melted his heart.

Her laugh didn't just let herself glow in color, but her laugh filled the void of hope in the care. He was the one who made her laugh. He made her laugh after she had sobbed and sobbed over her father's grave.

"Really, how did you get a car? I mean how did the teachers let you drive her?" Nina asked, the tops of her ears turning a tint of pink. Kieran wanted to coo at the small blush that enveloped her ears.

Rather than embarrassing himself, Kieran tried to get the right words out. Although he had pined over Nina for so long, he didn't want to tell her the reason why he couldn't stand to be in a bus crowed with loud people. "I asked them if I could and they said it's okay. What's the time?"

Nina noticed how he had hesitated a bit, but she didn't push him to spit out whatever he was going to say. "It's six."

"Well, I'm hungry, so is it cool if we stop by McDonald's for a bit?" Kieran had already aimed his car in the direction of the local McDonald's although that Nina hadn't even answered.

"Sure." Nina nodded her head, smiling. Her mother had always complained about how unhealthy McDonald's was, but she always tends to not listen to her mother and fell in love with the fast food restraint, to her mother's complains.

So, while they ate some chicken nuggets and salty fries, Kieran imagined it as a date while Nina imagined a new friendship to blossom.

Kieran knew that this was a sad excuse of a 'first date,' but this would probably be the only time he would get with Nina before they arrive in their small town and went their separate ways.

"Hey, I was wondering if you think we can head home in the morning?" Nina's voice was cautious as if the question was going to break Kieran into small pieces. When Kieran didn't reply, she was quick to say, "We don't have to drive in the morning. It's just that you would be up late at night and would be driving and I won't you to fall asleep while we were on the highway-."

Kieran interrupted after quite some time of her words rushing, "No, it's okay. I get where you are coming from, but the question is where are we going to sleep? I only have money for gas and cheap food."

Nina shrugged with the idea that had appear in her head, "How about we just sleep here in the car? Your seats do recline, right?"

"Yea. Let's do that." Kieran's voice was monotone to Nina, but his heartbeat increased when he thought that he would be sleeping beside her.