Ch. 5: Derek's Scheme

The bus pulled up at the stop around the corner and I climbed aboard. I found a seat near the back and popped in my earbuds before letting Leilani know I was on my way over. Unfortunately, I failed to realize I had sat directly next to the man who offended me and all the women who live in the countryside. He waved his hand in front of my face again but, I wouldn't pay him any mind. He then reached for my earbuds and yanked them out of my ears.

"You should really speak when spoken to, young lady!" he shouted. Everyone around us looked at him in disgust and fear. None wanted to speak up against him. So, I decided to stand up for myself.

"You may think you have what it takes to catch my eye, but you're really lacking in so many areas." I said coldly "I told you to leave me alone and yet, I see you here. I don't know what your problem is. All I want to say is you're freaking me out and I don't want to see, hear, or speak to you."

The bus soon came to a halt at another stop and the man got up and left. Once he was gone, everyone on the bus turned to me and thanked me for telling him off. Some even congratulated me or complimented me on how well I handled it. Even the driver praised me for it. I then asked one of the other passengers who that man was. It seemed no one on board knew exactly who he was. They knew he had to be a crime boss or something based on the way he talked and dressed. One even asked if I knew him at all, which I didn't. I had only seen him on the way to campus on the first day. He never told me his name.

I instead tried to gather information on him from the other passengers in case I needed to call the police on him. The riders didn't have a lot of knowledge of him. Let alone give consistent stories. So, I decided to make a goal to find out as much as I can about him to plan when I could leave the apartment this year. If it was possible to track him, I could give local authorities a tip to help catch him later on.

The bus eventually stopped near the store I'd be meeting Leilani at and I exited. The driver and passengers thanked me again for dealing with that guy earlier as I stepped off the bus. I told them to be careful around him and they agreed to let me know if they get any new info. I was learning things about this city I never knew and I was determined to help fix what's broken.

I approached the entrance of the store and found my friend from the islands waiting for me by the deli. We looked over the list I brought before deciding on grabbing snack trays first. We only got three since there's plenty of food to make more at the apartment.

As we strolled down the soft drinks isle, I noticed Leilani had stopped just a few feet away from the liquor. "Let's keep walking, (Y/N)." she urged me to continue forward. But I knew Derek had wanted to grab a few cases of beer for the party. I reminded her about it and she refused to let me buy any. She had warned me about the dangers of having alcohol and three men under the same roof as me. She didn't want any harm brought to me at the party. I understood why she refused and reluctantly walked past the display.

We had soon managed to reach the check-out lanes and proceeded forward. We paid for our items and exited the store. Just as we had finished loading our purchases into her car, I had gotten a text from my boyfriend. Mettaton said he'd be on his way back from Wales tomorrow since they'd recently finished filming there and he wanted to meet somewhere for a date.

Now, I was still not fully used to going out. He often had to cancel or reschedule because he'd be so busy with work. He was still able to make up for it and that was enough for me. I agreed to meet up with him at a local Italian restaurant a couple blocks away from a nice movie theater. Mettaton seemed to like that idea and decided on Monday evening. I just had to make sure I could be ready for it.

Leilani and I climbed into the little, green vehicle and started on our way back to the apartment. I had two days to alert the guys so they can adjust the schedules to watch Loki while I'm out.

~~~~Derek's POV~~~~

Larry, Danny, and I watched as the energetic monstrosity of a dog as he stared out the window. He had been howling and whimpering since she left. I couldn't understand how people even live with these animals. All they do is eat, poop, sleep, howl, run around, play, and destroy furniture or even shoes.

I soon heard the doorknob jiggle. (Y/N) had finally returned and her baby beast had started howling again. I watched him run up to the door as soon as she walked in. Another woman followed her in who I guessed was her friend. Both ladies set their grocery bags on the kitchen counter before embracing the wild dog.

"Did Loki behave for you while I was out, Derek?" she asked "I grabbed a few treats for him." I told her he was okay for the most part. Being a rambunctious, young husky, he still had his moments.

I felt a buzz in my pocket and pulled out my phone. I had received a message from one of those guys who threatened me the other day. They were requesting my presence somewhere. I said my farewells to everyone before gathering my things and walking out the door.

I really didn't want to go see them right now. I knew they'd hound me for the money I still owe them and I hadn't been able to scrape together enough yet. We still had a few days to a week until the science fair and I still wasn't sure if they'd be giving out prize money. I had to think of a way to get enough to settle my debts fast. I began formulating a few small ideas to earn a little extra. Work in a fast food joint? No, the only one that's close enough and willing to hire another worker is that MTT Burger Emporium. I hated the owner and manager. He's too smooth with women and men alike. He even flirts with all these other genders! I knew it would be tough finding a way to get by now. But I knew I had to try in order to save my skin.

~~~~Your POV~~~~

I watched Derek nervously get up and leave. Something just wasn't right about him now. What could be so important that he has to go out for the night? I hoped to God he wasn't heading over to see that gang we ran into in the alleyway. I still hated him a little but, I knew he still could be a good man if he tried.

I simply brushed off my concerns and said goodbye to Leilani before she left. She looked forward to working with me and I hoped she could come to the party. I had invited her to it and she had told me she'll come if her dad allowed it. Even if he didn't, she promised to find a way to make it.

I then got ready to take Loki on a walk while Danny and Larry made dinner. All the while I couldn't wait to see Mettaton again. I decided to put together a few outfits I could wear Monday night. I imagined him pulling up in a limousine like he did when we went to Homecoming together. The way he'd bow before me and hold out his hand like a true gentleman used to make me very uneasy. But I'm no longer afraid. Now, I nearly melt, knowing he means no harm. I had always wondered what love felt like. All these movies and shows didn't help that much. Yet, I still wanted something like that deep down and Mettaton helped me get that chance.

I was broken from my thoughts when Loki began to tug at his leash. He tried to run off into the nearby parking lot of a drug store. I quickly pulled back on the leash and made sure he couldn't get away. That's when I saw a group of four silhouettes attempting to beat another man who appeared to be on the ground. Loki and I approached cautiously only to realize it was the same men I defended Derek from as well as Derek himself.