1. intro

Summer break finally came, and the luxury of sleeping in and the nightly late reading sessions fell onto Noah's lap deservingly. He was at the top of his classes (unsurprisingly), but he would much rather spend his time elsewhere in solitude, which is why summer break washed him with relief.

But of course, it also had its cons; annoying family members stopping by, the rapid seeping of boredom, and having to deal with more work hours at his job as a barista. A very basic job filled with passive-aggressive socializing and headaches, but he certainly needed the cash.

So presently he stood behind a counter, waiting for the next noisy customer to walk in. Today was unbelievably sluggish.
As much as he appreciated not having loads of customers pressuring him to rush with their drinks and pastries, he was undeniably bored. His dismal eyes loomed over to a coworker who sat at an open seat far from the tables occupied by the small number of customers. He was on his phone, a smile plastered on his face.
Noah made a "tsk" sound with his tongue and took out his own phone. Might as well check his messages.

As figured, he got texts from the usual mutuals. His first instinct was to check on Owen's message as they have been pretty close friends since the whole total drama show. On occasion he's had customers point out how familiar he looked, some figuring out who he was as they'd throw curious and fairly dumb questions at him.

Owen: [image]
12:05 pm

an image of Izzy jumping off a cliff into what looked like a giant lake took over the small screen. Noah raised an eyebrow, an unamused snort escaping.
Izzy and Owen have stuck together as friends, which did come as a shock to Noah. He would've assumed Izzy had no desire to continue contacting the blonde, with the whole unrequited crush, but then again they did get along just well in their own weird way.

Noah:
"Wow. Couldn't be me. This is a late reply, but I hope you didn't follow her lead... I don't think you could pull that off either, big guy"
2:45 pm

He scrolled past some contacts that he frankly didn't feel like replying to (of old campers he wasn't quite excited about) and replied to those that he found the slightest interest in.

Noting that Trent still hasn't opened the week-old message made him sigh in relief. The heartthrob was probably too busy with his new chick. After all, he was a lady's man, and Noah was not. There wasn't too much to talk about with him, unfortunately.
Then there was Tyler, still rambling about Lindsay. Noah excused himself, half lying about work getting in the way of giving the man proper advice. The truth was Noah's shock over Tyler seeing anything in Lindsay made it hard for him to deal with the guy's whining; the airhead still had trouble remembering his name for god's sake. She was more boobs than brains.

Luckily he didn't feel much remorse over brushing his friend (?) off in such a manner, leaving their messages with no hesitation so he could move on to the next.

He opened a picture from Eva, already expecting a gym in the background of her selfie. He smiled when his suspicions were proven right, the image of Eva flexing in front of a gym mirror with a giant smirk shining back at him.
'The gains are coming great, huh, twink?' read the caption, to which he ignored the nickname and congratulated her.
It was impressive how much muscle she gained since he last saw her, almost making him feel a little self-conscious of his never-changing thin figure.

He quickly pocketed his phone as a group of teenage girls came to order frappes, quickly getting the orders done with no mistakes, as per usual.
Once the girls paid and left, he fetched his phone out again- after shooting a glare at the coworker who was supposed to be helping him, of course.

He made it to the last message in his inbox, the oldest one from over two weeks ago.

Cody:
"Hi, Noah! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, was having some issues with my parents haha. Anyways, I hope your summer vacation will do you some good. :) !! Lots of free time, huh?"
2:33 am