3. best interest

Cody gently stirred on the couch, his mind completely fuzzy with no recollection of yesterday coming to him yet.
The sun rays shining through the open blinds of the living room window had landed on Cody's eyes, disturbing him enough to shield the light with his hand.

Slowly he made sense of where he was, a faint smile creeping on as he felt the warmth of blankets over him.
He hadn't fallen asleep with them on initially, he knew that. The only explanation he could think of would be Noah who must have draped them over Cody before going to bed himself.

He snuggled into them a little longer, breathing in the distinguished scent he will now remember as Noah's.
He peered down over the couch, expecting to see Honey still laying down but to his surprise there was only carpet.

His smile faltered a little, wondering where she may have gone off to.
Hoping it wasn't too late as he did not want to miss anything Noah may have had planned today, he decided it was time to get up and he lifted the blanket away from him, leaving them at the very edge of the couch.
He stretched his arms and back as he stood up from where he slept and began his search for Noah and Honey.

"Noah?," he spoke through the apartment, walking into the guy's room only to find it seemingly untouched, bed completely tidy.
He gnawed at his bottom lip anxiously, really hoping he wasn't alone.

He saw that the bathroom door was open so no one must be occupying it. He quickly used it and washed his hands before going back into the living room and straight to the kitchen where he finally noticed a single trace of Noah: a little note on the table.

He picked it up gingerly, finding the small neat writing endearing.

' I've gone off to work, If you need anything just ring me. I left some pancakes for you on the counter.
Also, if Honey isn't in the living room, check under my bed. She likes to hide in there.

- Noah '

Cody giggled, heart swelling in a way he wasn't expecting it to. He was glad to know he wasn't forgotten about, is all. Also, Noah made pancakes for HIM, and that was simply wonderful.

Just as the note said, there was in fact a plate of pancakes on the counter, saran wrap over them to keep them fresh.

He picked the dish up and removed the wrapping, fetching a fork from the silverware drawer as he did so.
He doubted Noah would mind if he served himself some milk, he thought, taking out the carton from the fridge and pouring some into a mug.

As he munched on the fluffy pastries, he couldn't help but imagine Noah flipping the pancakes, keeping Cody in mind, making them just for him.
"Such a great guy," Cody said to himself with a mouthful of pancake.

******

After finding Honey under Noah's bed, he managed to find the dog food with her help and poured a hefty amount into her bowl.

He never thought he'd be such an animal lover, but her company was truly something he enjoyed.
He had checked his phone for any texts from Noah, or anyone for that matter, and responded to a few. He still avoided social media, though. (Ahem, Sierra...)

He decided he would take Honey out on a walk once she was out of her food coma.

He followed her back into Noah's room- hoping Noah wouldn't notice traces of him accidentally left behind- and took his chance to take a closer look at everything in there. Honey kept busy by playing with a dog toy, once again retrieving to her hiding spot underneath the bed.

He watched her disappear, mentally agreeing that the bed did look pretty comfortable...

Without hesitation he fell onto said bed, maroon blankets feeling fresh underneath him. The two pillows now beside him had cases that were the same shade of red and they felt just as fresh too, a little discovery he made as he pressed his face against one of them.