***Sample Chapters 1-5***

Chapter 1

"Are you sure you're ready for this day?" Samiyah asked Minnie, staring her squarely in the eyes with the attempt to gauge her response.

"Yes, I am pos-o-tive." She happily stated before taking a more serious tone. "I've never felt more certain about anyone in my life." Minnie twirled around in the Cheval mirror, trying to hide her imperfections.

Samiyah thought briefly before cutting to the chase. "I'm not trying to be cynical, but don't you think that one year is too soon to be marrying somebody?" Minnie's husband-to-be rubbed her wrong.

"Really?" she grimaced. "Today?" Sarcasm trickled from her question. "Don't you think six years is too long to not have married Gerran?" Minnie reversed the interrogation on Samiyah's relationship. "You may feel some type of way about G'Corey, but I can vouch for him so you'll just have to trust me." She sat down, offered her best friend of fifteen years a seat beside her, then reached out and held Samiyah's hand. "You can be so protective at times, but I'm not as naïve as you think."

"But y'all are so different in the ways that matter most. I feel like you're an easier prey to someone like him and you know I've never made my suspicions secret, so don't give me that look." Samiyah mirrored the twisted expression on Minnie's face. "All I wanted to do was ask my sister one last time before I finalize this subject for good," she stressed. "Of all the men you can possibly settle down with, he's the one you choose?"

"What men?" She huffed in amusement. "Listen, Yah, my intelligence is sexy, my face is pretty, even my conversation is intriguing, once you get to know me, but my body doesn't just snatch a man's attention, so my pickings are slim."

"So, you're settling?" Samiyah questioned and Minnie's eyes drew inward. "That came out wrong. You're all that." Minnie was about to protest, but Samiyah stopped her. "You don't have to be five-ten and thin."

"I agree, but that's easy for you to say. You don't mirror my issues. Look at you." She outlined Samiyah's shape, "You're fine as wine, but me," she grabbed at her double mid-section, "I'm five-one and bigger than I care to share."

"When a man loves a woman, he sees past her hang-ups. G'Corey isn't the only or the best one," she added. "We both know the man you should be with is-"

"Enough, Yah!" Minnie demanded as she rose to her feet, "I love him!" she affirmed. "And just because I'm not the lioness you want me to be, doesn't make me a kitten either." Minnie walked over to the opened window to feel the summer breeze wisp against her heated skin.

Samiyah rationalized that objecting yet again would, for certain, turn ugly so she zipped her lips and locked that matter away as she said she would. She picked up a napkin and called out Minnie's name, getting her attention. She waved it in the air as if it were a white flag.

Charmingly, Minnie smiled. Samiyah did the same. They walked toward each other and hugged instinctually.