Chapter 12

Alistair eventually turned up and though he didn't say anything it was clear he was upset with Hannah. She said hello and he said nothing and just watched her from the poolside, until the evening when she returned to the cottage with him. 

It had begun to rain and the rain drops could clearly be heard on the window as the wind. "Don't go wandering and get lost in this weather." He warned her as they sat down to eat a frozen pizza. "Stick Netflix on we'll watch a movie." He told her. 

Hannah did as she was told and let him select the film. It wasn't something that I remembered as she fell asleep while watching it. She woke up when she felt a cold breeze from the open door. She quickly got up and went to close it, and a shadow darted in across the doorway. Hannah froze not sure if she should call for Alistair or not.  She shut the door and locked it. "Behind you." She heard a breathy whisper.  She jumped and spun around to see Alistair at the bottom of the stairs.  "Why did you open the door at this time of night?" 

 " It must have come open while I was sleeping," she said, her hands trembling and the colour drained from her face. 

He sighed and turned the key in the lock and took the key. "We don't want you getting lost again, do we?" He spoke patronizing her and with a passing judgmental glare.  She said nothing but took a mental note of this. "If you're going to be up and down all night go to your own room." He told her as he wearily trudged back to bed.  Hannah followed him, went to her room, and locked the door behind her. She buried herself under the covers and tried to sleep but every time she nearly fell asleep a sound disturbed her. Sometimes it felt like someone was in the room with her and she could hear the sound of breathing. She felt like a small helpless child afraid of the monster under the bed, as she kept her eyes scrunched tight and curled up under the blankets, hoping that it was her imagination and nothing or no one was in the room with her. 

Hannah awoke a little later to the sound of the shower in her bathroom. The shower was turned off and wet feet could be heard walking on the floor till someone stopped by her bed. Hannah could hear the breathing as it felt like the room was turning icy cold. She peered out from under the blanket and saw blue-grey legs, dropping with water. A bunch of keys dropped to the floor and she heard whoever it was leave the room and silence returned. She reached up and touched the keys they were still damp. She popped her head out from under the blankets and quickly switched the light on by her bedside. There was no sign that anyone had been there other than the keys on the ground.

It took her a moment or two to decide that it was safe enough to come out from under the blanket and pick the keys up from the floor. Fearful something wrong else would happen she quickly got dressed and as she started downstairs she heard Alistair. "Hannah." He called up to her. " Are you awake? " 

 "Yes." She called back as she hid the keys in the coat pocket. " Do you want something? " Alistair didn't reply. Hannah walked to the kitchen, "Do you want breakfast?"

 " We will have it with my cousins. " He sounded annoyed she didn't already know this fact, even though he hadn't told her.

 "I thought you had a shower this morning," Alistair said when he saw her dry hair. 

 " No. " Hannah replied timidly. "I have just woken up." She lied. 

 "Perhaps playing with the Ouija board the other day gave me nightmares." His gruff expression didn't change.  Not sure what he was going to do next Hannah said nothing.  "Don't stand around starring all day we'll run out of time to have fun." He hurried her as he put the coat that Hannah had found on her.