Midnight Whirlpool

The stars glistened like gemstones, scattered across the night sky. They all bled, shedding already fading tears, and I bled with them. My head throbbed, as if I had hit it hard on the concrete. It was the same feeling I got when the motorcycle crashed into the overturned ambulance, and Nick pulled me off the road, barely breathing. The wind felt like an invisible kiss, the ground scraped my ankles, and the world around me seemed to be turned upside down.

I felt vulnerable. I felt preyed upon, but I didn't feel sorry for myself. I would have rather died than watched everyone I loved, including Nick and Derek, suffer from the hands of the Butcher. I would have rather died, knowing that the premonition Madam Rose had talked about was fulfilled, and it had been my destiny, and I didn't live my life in vain.

When George laid me on Jefferson Rock in Harpers Ferry, I couldn't feel my feet. It was the poison of his touch. It made me feel groggy, less likely to escape his magic venomous chains.

"Rebecca," George said, rubbing his chin, and studying my face, "I have never understood what my brother found in you. Truth is — you always bring trouble. Your existence in this world is ...worrisome. But... I'm going to do you a favor, and let you live the rest of your life somewhere else. Far, far away from here. I don't need you hovering over my brother anymore. I can take care of him myself," the Butcher grinned, revealing his straight teeth. "You have no idea how long I've waited for his moment. It sure feels great."

I moaned and groaned, lifting my head up, and looking at the monster that now had me. Behind me, below the beautiful green pines, the rivers raged, breaking at the rocks. The waves were trying to get to me. They were trying to save me.

"I am not afraid of you," I mumbled.

If only I had a chance to dip my hands into the water. I knew demons didn't like water, and I wondered if George would be afraid of it too.

George leaned onto Jefferson Rock and pinned me down. He grabbed my hair and pulled it upward, twisting it. My neck hurt and I wailed in pain from his touch.

"Be afraid, little girl. You have no idea what kind of power is invested in me. Once you are gone — everything will fall into place, like it was meant to from the very beginning."

I spit in George's face as he held me.

"Derek will never forgive you," I muttered. "He will find you, and he will kill you, you filthy demon."

I saw a flame burn in George's eyes. He held me in place, and breathed me in, before he slowly brought his lips closer to mine, stopping just an inch away from my face.

"I'd kiss you just to make Derek jealous, but I'm pretty sure, you won't be living after that, and I need you to live a while longer. So... please, don't tempt me."

My face flushed, and my lips curled. "Burn in Hell."

"I already do," George said, grinning from ear to ear.

George finally lessened his grip, and I stretched on the cold rock like a starfish. "It's time for you to go now. Its time you face demons on your own, Rebecca Grimwood. Isn't that what you really dream of?"

While George talked, dark black magic accumulated around him. It grew like mist before racing into his body, almost knocking him off his feet. George looked up into the sky, watching the clouds gather. He let the magic ignite him with power.

Above us, the skies pulsated with lightning, and my heart nearly exploded when thunder struck, and the rain poured down.

George lifted me off Jefferson Rock and carried me towards the water. Not even looking at me, he lowered me down, barely touching the waves. I desperately reached for the water trying to direct it at him, but I realized in shock that he was controlling it. He wasn't afraid of the water. The water was afraid of him. My heart sank, and I whispered Derek's and Nick's names for the last time before George dropped me into the river.

With a snap of his two fingers, George Cromwell turned the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers into a giant whirlpool. From out of the roaring water rose a great shadow. It swelled over the old Harpers Ferry bridge like a dark swan expanding over the horizon, with wings so black it made the night seem bright. The swan absorbed such a massive amount of water that I found myself lying on dry land among the gray rocks and bait fish. My heart went into my feet as the swan lurched forward, raising a powerful wave to tighten around my waist like a gallows' rope. The wall of water was a mirage, and far beyond its veil I caught the silhouette of George Cromwell. He hadn't moved a muscle, he just watched and grinned, seemingly proud of his accomplishment. There was relief in his face — a relief — his plan was falling into place, and there was no Gatekeeper to stop him. He had finally managed to get one step ahead.

I closed my eyes and let the swan take me.