Chapter 1

I do not iwn Star Trek Next Generation or any of it's characters

Please read and review and I'll pist another chapter!!!!!!

The planet was quiet and soft. Mostly flat but for the mountainous round hills in the distance and the rocks ahead that carved jagged caves. The firm dry ground beneath his feet was a smoky blue, other natural structures around him were painted muted grays. Up through cracks and pores in the planets floor came a warm white mist. Sulfur springs bubbled thin steam from their random small pools. The ash of volcanic acid ranges that sat at the far horizon blocked a hazy sun and dulled a somber sky.

The humidity sat in the air heavily, making a somewhat sleepy crew slightly unmotivated to continue searching for the particular rare sediment. If not for it's medical importance they would have regrouped and beamed up long ago.

Wesley wiped his forearm across his forehead that beaded with slow sweat. His tricorder readings led him toward the caves.

"Ensign return to rendezvous we must go.", said Captain Picard into his badge. By his tone you could tell that wasn't the first time he'd tried talking through his usually trusty communicator.

"Captain we've got to go now, we're all in danger.", said Worf.

They had just recieved intel that an illegal mining operation was nearby, gathering just the sediment they were looking for. These people didn't exactly want the element for it's medicinal properties although, the rock also happened to be very valuable in certain systems. Anyone found in the area was to be captured and enslaved. Interference from the strange electro magnetic polarity of the planets core was starting to effect their technology, another reason to escape as soon as possible.

The officers looked at each other with worried glances. Picard took a nervous sigh as he tapped his badge. "Five to beam up.".

He stepped off the platform walking towards O'Brien.

"Mr. O'Brien were you able to get a lock on Ensign Crusher?".

"I'm trying sir but if he went into the caves that would make the interference worse.", replied the engineer, shaking his head.

Tense shoulders left the transporter room hoping for a plan.

Father time was too tired to tap Wesley on the shoulder, both of them being in the daze of the planets serenity.

He sat down against the cave wall taking a sip of water to relieve his thirst. He sighed with sleepy calm in his chest. Being unaware of the change in the mission of course, he told himself to get up and keep looking.

Before he had the chance to get his feet beneath him something peirced his neck. His suddenly leadened limbs grew heavy. He couldn't lift their weight as his averse eyelids were pulled closed. His bones succumbed to a boundless blackness.

-

His fingertips moved grit underneath their attempt of movement. Wesley's eyes opened wearily. What they showed caused panic in his mind.

An unkept cell with three walls of metal bars, it's neighbors looking the same stretching goodness knows how far. Each one containing the contents of innocent lives stolen for the temptation of a price. A blue abused floor of dust and rock being less than merciful to his skin.

His heartbeat was loud enough to echo down the dim rustic corridor. His body wasn't responding to his brains commands. He saw no chains or binds, so why couldn't he move? His chest heaved rapidly with panicked breaths, eyes watered with pure unfiltered fear. He grit his teeth as he shook trying desperately to move.

"The paralytic should wear off in an hour or so. Just relax son.", said the man sitting outside who Wesley hadn't previously noticed. His voice was deep and sincere. It calmed his nerves.

Wesley closed his eyes tight focusing on steadying his breath. He steadied it so well he didn't realize he was drifting off to sleep once again.